HenrySeymour Diaphragm

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
phonohound
Victor II

HenrySeymour Diaphragm

Post by phonohound »

I have a Henry Seymour Diaphragm and arm,which appears to be for an Edison Gem. Does anyone know when this was made and what model Gem this attachment would be appropriate? Also, the original diaphragm is made of celluloid and is now hard as a rock, therefore, the reproducer won't work. Would you change out the diaphragm (if so, what material) or would you leave it alone and keep it all original?

I found information on Seymour's work with discs and gramophones, but not so much with cylinder phonographs.

Any information would be helpful. Below are some photos of the reproducer and arm.

Thanks

Scott

http://webpages.charter.net/phonographs ... phragm.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/phonographs ... hragm2.jpg

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Re: HenrySeymour Diaphragm

Post by VintageTechnologies »

Your reproducer is obviously patterned after the Columbia and Pathé floating reproducers that I'm familiar with. I can't tell from the photograph, so I'll ask, is the diaphragm transparent? If it is transparent, are you sure it is celluoid and not mica or glass? I would first suspect that the rubber gasket has hardened, rather than the diaphragm. I suppose there would be some risk trying to remove the fragile diaphragm to replace the gasket, but you could replace it with mica if you don't mind sacrificing originality.

phonohound
Victor II

Post by phonohound »

I'm 100% certain the diaphragm is celluloid. It is hard and unpliable now. The gasket is also dried out. It would be great to hear it play, but I'm ok with leaving as is to preserve the historical value.

The main thing is when was this reproducer made? Once I know find out this information, I be able to figure out the correct Gem model it should be paired with.

Thank you.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Here is one not so long ago on Ebay with an extra weight.

The diaphragm on this one is made of graphite as; I am told, used in telephones.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

If you ever decide to sell yours, please contact me.
Chunny

phonohound
Victor II

Post by phonohound »

I did see the one on ebay. The extra weight was interesting, which I don't have. However, mine is otherwise complete. I am still trying to learn when these reproducers were made.

I am not interested in selling at this time, but thank you for your offer. What I would like to do is install this on the proper Gem model.

chunnybh
Victor III

Post by chunnybh »

This reproducer was granted patent on the 18th August 1904. Application date was Sept 1903. I'd love to hear it once you have it fitted. Why do you think it was meant to be fitted to a Gem?

phonohound
Victor II

Post by phonohound »

Thank you. I will now have to find a clean Gem (most likely a model B) to attach this set up. I think it will be neat looking. The reason I say it's a Gem attachment is because the arm fits a Gem. I wonder if these attachments were made for all Edison models.