Is this Gramophone Real?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
2Bdecided
Victor I

Re: Is this Gramophone Real?

Post by 2Bdecided »

Steve wrote:Distance shouldn't matter really unless you have a dealer living next door to you who sells lots of interesting and rare items cheaply? Sellers who have not sold a gramophone before I usually my preference these days. Those who sell regularly tend to have access to lots of parts and spares and other dealers. You can end up with a liquorice allsort if you're not careful. There are some UK dealers who I would never buy from for that reason.
I take your point. My point was that someone who has never shipped a gramophone before may not do so with sufficient care or packaging. I have given careful instructions yet still received a machine with a smashed soundbox. Most of the machines from first-time gramophone sellers that have not been damaged on their way to me have survived due to luck, not decent packaging. I prefer to collect in person in these cases, but that's too limiting where I live now (especially given petrol prices!).

As for distance, I always (maybe incorrectly) believe the fact that I could theoretically drive to someone and knock on their door may keep a seller slightly more honest? The fact it will arrive well within the eBay dispute period is also a help.
Steve wrote:
2Bdecided wrote:I was also thinking of other similar, if not identical machines, that do show up for £500. One late-ish model of HMV horn gramophone is about as good as another IMO.

Agh! The very epitome of what makes a collector a collector! Words and phrases like "nearly" or "as good as" or "similar to" demonstrate the differences between a specific collector as opposed to a general horder of machines. Nearly isn't good enough, if you are looking for anything specific. A 163 is almost a 193 whilst a 193 is almost a 202. But they are not the same and serious collectors will want the best or a targeted machine not something that is approximate in the minds of others. "Nearly" isn't good enough! If it isn't the same, it isn't the same! ;)
I don't think this attitude makes me a hoarder. I can play most of my machines without moving another machine, and most of my records without moving anything else, so you won't be seeing me on Channel Four's "Hoarders" programmes yet. ;)

The point is that bargains do turn up. With limited funds, you have to take advantage of that. Some things typically command premium prices on the open market for what I consider to be good reasons: either because they are genuinely best in their class, or in exceptional original condition. These are reasons to pay (if "luck" does not deliver a bargain to you).

However, extend that attitude wider (so that every decent machine is unique in its own way and should command a premium) and unless you are very wealthy, you will be disappointed, or have a very limited collection. (or buy and sell a lot while owning comparatively little, which is a nice way to experience lots of different machines).

I guess I underestimated how rare this machine is. If I already had a 31, 32 and/or 33, I see this would be something different and interesting. However, I think I would spend limited funds on one of the above first, and then maybe an earlier HMV or Victor model to get one with that style horn and exhibition sound box. Those two purchases would still cost less than this single machine. You clearly hate me saying this, but while the machine may be very rare, it is not very different. Very rare and slightly different is interesting, but at those prices, it'll have to be left to rich collectors. Very different, rare, and desirable would be needed to justify the price for me.

There is always someone out there who can be as near to certain as it is possible to be that something is correct. You might not know them but don't assume that they do not exist. I don't think the buyer of this machine was a fool. Do you?
Not a fool. It's just that not everyone can collect like that.

Cheers,
David.

recordo
Victor II
Personal Text: "Allow instrument to run whilst winding"

Re: Is this Gramophone Real?

Post by recordo »

Screenshot for when the ebay link disappears.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-04-06 at 6.11.28 PM.png