E.M.G MK 9 horn repair

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: E.M.G MK 9 horn repair

Post by Steve »

Kirtley you're a brave man!

I do have to agree with Burt though in as much as MORE wet/steam would be better than less.

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

Steve wrote:Kirtley you're a brave man!

I do have to agree with Burt though in as much as MORE wet/steam would be better than less.
Yes, im using the adjustable brace along with a good series of wipes over with a wet sponge to keep it damp as the brace does its job

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

In my opinion, your thoughts are correct Alex---you will definitely need a permanent brace. These horns are fundamentally flawed structurally---the design is not good and they were always too weak beyond the short aluminium casting. The brace will work well and can be an added attraction if properly done. You only have to look at the Mk Xa & Xb etc to see how EMG themselves solved the problem on more expensive models with the much more sensible and well thought out cygnet casting. Do not be discouraged though as an upright Mk IX horn will give an excellent sound.

kirtley2012
Victor IV

Post by kirtley2012 »

emgcr wrote:In my opinion, your thoughts are correct Alex---you will definitely need a permanent brace. These horns are fundamentally flawed structurally---the design is not good and they were always too weak beyond the short aluminium casting. The brace will work well and can be an added attraction if properly done. You only have to look at the Mk Xa & Xb etc to see how EMG themselves solved the problem on more expensive models with the much more sensible and well thought out cygnet casting. Do not be discouraged though as an upright Mk IX horn will give an excellent sound.
Thanks graham, im hoping I will find a way to keep this horn around for at least another 50 year's (I do get ambitious!), like I said, its going well, it's moved quite alot already via the brace acting upon it, I am using the water and letting it sit there to settle it into position then repeat this untill the horn is in its original position, then I will try to find a way to make a brace that will fit quite discreetly into the curve of the horn. Fingers crossed!

clevelander
Victor II

Post by clevelander »

Alex,
Best of luck with your project, but is there such a word as un-sagging?
Cheers,
Alistair.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

but is there such a word as un-sagging?
LOL! I also laughed when I saw that! BUT it is worth remembering that the English language was significantly added to when EMG's first appeared and the esteemed "The Gramophone" magazine first started up and began writing articles and reviews about products sold by some of its friends and "allies", with Mr Ginn's in particular. Put simply, "The Gramophone" + EMG = Considerable Hyperbole! ;)

kirtley2012
Victor IV

Post by kirtley2012 »

clevelander wrote:Alex,
Cheers,
Alistair.
There is now, I just invented it :D

old country chemist
Victor II

Post by old country chemist »

Wooden, adjustable EMBROIDERY RINGS,in different sizes can be used in conjunction with careful steaming, to bring a horn such as that back to a reasonable shape. Phil Lewis did it successfully years ago on an awful Expert Minor horn.

clevelander
Victor II

Post by clevelander »

kirtley2012 wrote:
clevelander wrote:Alex,
Cheers,
Alistair.
There is now, I just invented it :D
Can't argue with that!. :lol: