E.M.G MK 9 horn repair

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

E.M.G MK 9 horn repair

Post by kirtley2012 »

I finally got round to repairing this mk 9 horn, it is majorly sagged and the mouth of the horn has become ovalled.

in the past the method to repair these has been gradual insertion of steam to make the paper soft and move it back into the original shape, I have been scared to steam this horn, it was gifted to me, so I didn't want to risk the destruction of it through too much steam, so I got my creative and engineering head on and came up with a simple brace. that can be adjusted slowly to push the horn back to shape along with a small amount of steam, let me know what you think.

I will tend to the ovalling when I have repaired the sagging, then I will post the gramophone it is going to belong to when I have completed it, I am having a major problem with the wooden internal conduit with the hand tools I have
IMGP5382.JPG
IMGP5384.JPG
IMGP5386.JPG
IMGP5387.JPG

OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: E.M.G MK 9 horn repair

Post by OrthoSean »

Nice job and more attractive than what I did. I built a "sling" of sorts from cotton rope which is super soft that supports it at the bell and neck. It hangs from the ceiling and is infinitely adjustable. It may not look pretty, but since October, the sag is much less than it was. Every week or two, I simply tighten the supports and it rises a little each time. Now that the Spring season has begun and things are more damp around here, I suspect the process will go a bit faster.

If you haven't, you may want to line the support that touches the outside paper with felt so the wood doesn't leave marks.

Sean

kirtley2012
Victor IV

Post by kirtley2012 »

OrthoSean wrote: If you haven't, you may want to line the support that touches the outside paper with felt so the wood doesn't leave marks.

Sean
that's what I've been planning on doing but I don't have anything soft to do it at the moment, im planning on getting some felt or fabric soon!

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Good luck with this Alex - interesting to see! Personally I'd be thinking of dampening it very slightly somehow or other (even if just boiling a kettle next to it, or wiping over with a damp cloth, from time to time) but I can well understand your caution.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Frankia
Victor I

Post by Frankia »

Thanks for posting the photographs Alex. I've never seen anything like this being done before.
Needless to say: the very best of luck with it.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Yes, well done Alex and the idea of introducing dampness is a good one but only carefully and where you want to achieve gradual movement, of course---ie around the bend exactly at the point where it has sagged. If you exert pressure when the bend is very dry you are liable to do some damage as everything is too stiff. Go slowly and be patient---that horn will give you a lifetime's happiness. It seems we have similar challenges at the moment ! Good luck.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

I'd suggest sorting out the oval at the same time. See if you can get a bucket(covered in material) or similar and push it down the mouth of the horn and one that will support where your brace is, to avoid damaging the bell.

kirtley2012
Victor IV

Post by kirtley2012 »

So far, so good!
The horn is moving gradually, im not forcing it but putting a bit of pressure up on it along with a damp sponge wiped over the surface of it then left to dry and settle!
Shouldn't take too long!...

Burtemg
Victor Jr

Post by Burtemg »

aren't you afraid once the horn has gone up again that way with room conditions that it will soon sag again?
I belleve more humidity is needed to get it back to shape...

You can put a large plastic over the horn and have some water vaporized ,maybe just putting a wide pot with water under the plastic will do just fine....

I'm just trying to help you get the EMG back on his feet!
good luck

kirtley2012
Victor IV

Post by kirtley2012 »

Burtemg wrote:aren't you afraid once the horn has gone up again that way with room conditions that it will soon sag again?
I belleve more humidity is needed to get it back to shape...

You can put a large plastic over the horn and have some water vaporized ,maybe just putting a wide pot with water under the plastic will do just fine....

I'm just trying to help you get the EMG back on his feet!
good luck
After it has gone up I am going to make a better, permanent and better looking brace that will prevent it from sagging again!, I will see how strong it is after the un-sagging though