Anyone have any Parlophone / Lindstrom machine catalogues?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Starkton
Victor IV

Re: Anyone have any Parlophone / Lindstrom machine catalogue

Post by Starkton »

Today, I got a scan of your marvellous "Olympia 75" from the "Parlophon 1909" catalogue, which could be bought here: http://www.sprechapparate.de/index.htm

The price of 260 Mark is about equal to the Gramophone Co.'s Senior Monarch models. This is an adequate machine to reproduce 14" Fonotipia and Odeon records.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Marvellous scan, thank you, Starkton!

I presume the link provided is to your website where I can purchase the full reproduction catalogue?

Many thanks again,

Steve

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Steve, this is a link to the same site I gave you a few weeks ago. I don't think it's Starkton's page...
Andreas

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Yes I spotted that only after I looked it up, but thanks, Alang, for confirming it is not Starkton's page.
The price of 260 Mark is about equal to the Gramophone Co.'s Senior Monarch models. This is an adequate machine to reproduce 14" Fonotipia and Odeon records.
That is interesting that it was pitched against the Senior Monarch, considering that in every sense it is a much bigger, more powerful and impressive machine. The horn is bigger than the Victor/HMV Tea Tray examples and the motor is at least twice as powerful as the triple-spring Victor motor. The soundbox is an equal or possibly better (its lighter in weight) than an Exhibition. I'm surprised Parlophone didn't put D.G. out of business with its range of machines.

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

Steve wrote:I'm surprised Parlophone didn't put D.G. out of business with its range of machines.
Exactly as it was. From 1904, after a handful of monopoly years, D.G.A.G. gramophones were regarded being of high quality but much too expensive in an extremely competitive market. You got cheap German gramophones for about 20 Mark. The Puck phonograph was only 5 Mark!

Fabulous sales figures were a thing of the past. I have just got one of the two DGAG flagship models of 1907, the De Luxe II, which is almost identical to the New Melba, but with gilded bronze decoration, and a catalog price of 350 Mark!

While DGAG "motor" sales stunted, urgently needed money was made with the Russian branch and the cheap Zonophon sublabel. In comparison, Lindström sold a multiple of machines.

Andreas Gramophones
Victor I

Post by Andreas Gramophones »

I have two German machines, both huge, beautiful and very well built. One of them is Parlophone and has a beautiful sealed engine, very powerful and quiet. I have not yet found the same machine on the web, I would love to know more about it. It is in the final stage of restoration. Watch the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSLJSsbBfio
Attachments
IMG_20171025_023339335.jpg
DSC03017.JPG

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

I don't know if this might help you, or not, but Carl Lindstrom responded to me personally in response to a post I created on the Facebook group, "Antique Phonograph Enthusiasts" about a year and a half ago.

My post was a query to an obscure Hungarian Gramophone; he had recognized the "Union" motor that's in it, and explained a bit of history of the manufacturer.

You may be able to look him up there with a post, and get lucky.

Best of luck,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Andreas Gramophones
Victor I

Post by Andreas Gramophones »

And Parlophon looked more or less like this ...
The Horn is not original, I used a Columbia until I found some more appropriate.
The engine is very powerful, the platter has 12 ". This is the result of two months of restoration work.
Attachments
gra3.jpg
DSC03704.JPG
DSC03698.JPG