Have an Expert Minor gramophone? I need your help!

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Garret
Victor IV

Have an Expert Minor gramophone? I need your help!

Post by Garret »

Hello all,

Now that I finally have a soundbox to complete my Minor, thanks to the extremely genorous aid of a fellow board member, I have decided to commence case and horn restoration. The case and horn both need work, as I have indicated previously. However, I do have a couple of questions before I begin.

1. What finish was used on the case? The catalogue says lacquer, but it looks like shellac?
2. Does anyone have a Minor with the same case as mine? I need someone willing to make patterns of the feet, or replicas, if possible. Asking an expert cabinetmaker would cost a LOT more than having replica feet made from a pattern. The only foot that isn't chipped or missing is the one you see in the picture.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: Have an Expert Minor gramophone? I need your help!

Post by Steve »

Garret, first of all before I forget, I spoke to Hideki today and he confirmed to me that he has now replied to your emails. I trust this is ok.

Now the Expert. Normally they only WAXED polished the cabinets but ANY finish imaginable was potentially offered according to what the paying customer asked for. Do not therefore get too hung up on this issue as these machines are not like Victors where there is a book stating this machine has that finish and everyone knows the fact etc. With Expert ANYTHING goes and there are no exceptions! You could paint it green with pink spots and no one can dispute that it wouldn't be restoring it back to its original state.

Having said that, what I would do is analyse the cabinet you have very carefully. If it is nitro-cellulose finish it will not be stripped off with methylated spirits. It would need something like Nitromorse to shift it. Simply try a test on any remaining fragments of finish left. I doubt many of these were hand polished with French polish but meths would shift French polish so you should be able to tell. Lacquering was a cheaper and quicker option by 1930 and it is likely that it might be spray applied lacquer. But I would do a simple test to check.

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Steve,

Yes, I was able to reach Hideki! I wasn't happy with his new shipping policy, but that's the way it goes, I guess.

Thank you for the input on the finish. I guess I'll have to do the ol' alcohol test to see if it's shellac or not - in an inconspicuous spot, of course - and take it from there.

Any thoughts re: the feet? Know anybody in the UK with this model that can make a pattern?

Garret

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Believe it or not, the CLPGS (Midlands Group) own a minor very similar to this one. I would try contacting them through the website: www.clpgs.org and asking if they can help.

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Steve wrote:Believe it or not, the CLPGS (Midlands Group) own a minor very similar to this one. I would try contacting them through the website: http://www.clpgs.org and asking if they can help.
Steve,

I will give that a try. I didn't know that the CLPGS actually owned gramophones; in the states, in organizations such as this like MAPS, individual collectors own their own machines.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

I didn't know that the CLPGS actually owned gramophones
Well, strictly speaking as an organisation, they don't, but some years ago now an elderly collector died and his survivors very kindly donated his machine to the Midlands Group of the CLPGS for their use at meetings and get-togethers. I'm sure Richard Taylor can correct me and / or elaborate on the story but I think I'm right in what I've said!

It's certainly not for sale anyway!

Good luck if you contact them. I would suggest contacting Richard as he is usually the custodian of this machine.