Newbie question on HMV 101

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Fred40
Victor Jr

Newbie question on HMV 101

Post by Fred40 »

Hi,

Being new to the field off colecting grammophones, and you have to start somewhere. I just bought my second portable grammophone which is a standard HMV 101.But now I wonder why there is a hole in the lid where the records go? Sensible thought to see what records are stored in the lid but the hole seems to small for this. Another thing is that on the right hand corner just behind the arm there is some device in chrome to hold something? But what? The needle boxes I have do not seem to fit.

Thanks for any further info.

Fred from Holland.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Newbie question on HMV 101

Post by epigramophone »

Welcome to the Forum.

The hole in the record storage flap provides clearance for the turntable spindle when the lid is shut.

The clip is designed to hold a pack of "Tungstyle" needles. These have not been produced for many years, but examples turn up on ebay from time to time.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: Newbie question on HMV 101

Post by Steve »

a pack of "Tungstyle" needles
I think Roger means "tin" of Tungstyle needles. However beware, these spring clips are fierce and grip the tin very firmly when it is inserted downwards into the slot. Upon removal, you might find your lovely tin has lost most of its paint! Do not pay a lot of money for a tin and then insert it into the slot for "show purposes". Always use a rough tin. eBay is full of rough (items) tins!