Help! Disassembling the Expert Minor

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Garret
Victor IV

Help! Disassembling the Expert Minor

Post by Garret »

Hello all!

I am disassembling my Expert Minor to have the case repaired and refinished. However, I can't seem to get the horn connection apart. Is there a trick to this? I can get the tone arm apart, but it seems permanently fixed to the horn connection. For the life of me, I can't figure out how it comes apart, and don't want to force it. I have studied this, and it looks like every bolt and nut that can be removed has been removed. Your help is greatly appreciated!

emgcr
Victor IV

Re: Help! Disassembling the Expert Minor

Post by emgcr »

Hello Garret,

The base section of the tonearm mount unscrews anti-clockwise from the conduit viewed from above, having first removed the three screws to the wooden deckboard. It is often the case that the threads have become stiff over the years since it was last assembled so be firm but with hand pressure only---ie. do not crush. Use of a rag should ensure adequate purchase.

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Graham,

Thank you for the information. I tried turning the tone arm mount to the left (anti-clockwise), and it is stiff. It won't even budge with a rag. Any thoughts on how best to proceed? Is there a way to get penetrating oil into the joint? The arrow in the photo shows the direction I am trying to turn it.

Best,

Garret

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Graham!

I got it! I found an old rubber strap I had, looped it around the mount, wiggled it left and right, and it eventually came off anti-clockwise! I'm not sure what Expert/M. Ginn used to seal that joint, but whatever it was, it acted like glue. Was it some sort of putty, or...? It seems similar to the stuff used on the motor mount bolts, although not nearly as pliable.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Well done. The joint would probably originally have been put together with grease to act as an air-tight acoustic sealer which is important so that base resonances in particular are not compromised, in addition to being a lubricant/preservative. Grease, of course, can sometimes solidify over very many decades---possibly up to 80 years since construction don't forget.

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Thank you, Graham! Once the case is restored, we'll be most of the way there with this Minor. I will just need to regrease the tone arm bearing, adjust the motor, and get a couple things replated. Now if I could just get our friend to move on the spare horn! ;-)

Which, was nickel plating used on these things, or another kind of metal? Is the horn bracket made out of aluminum or another metal? Was it supposed to originally be plated?

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Yes, the plated items are in nickel but the horn bracket, which is part of the conduit, is in unplated (sometimes gently polished or buffed) aluminium.