Help identifying an EMG

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
arfc
Victor Jr

Help identifying an EMG

Post by arfc »

Apologies if this is the wrong place/forum to ask such a question, but I am helping the family of a late friend of mine in selling her EMG gramophone and accompanying 78s.

However, I'm a little stumped in that I don't know what model the gramophone is and can't find many resources online to find out.

I have put some photos at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kztgtpqvze7538m/9ksHVmFdhV - can anyone help me identify what the machine is from these? Unfortunately this is all the documentation I got on my last visit.

My understanding so far is that the best people to sell to would either be collectors or at auction... if anyone has any experience selling these amazing things I'd love to hear some success stories.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Re: Help identifying an EMG

Post by Orchorsol »

Wonderful, an Expert Senior! Looks as though it may have an EMG soundbox rather than an Expert (hard to see exactly what it is).
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Frankia
Victor I

Post by Frankia »

You have a much sought after gramophone there! You may not need to go farther than this forum to find a buyer. As well as that, there are people on here with more experience in the finer details of these gramophones who will hopefully guide you.
Lovely to see another of the old beasts turning up!

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Hello there arfc and welcome,

Yes indeed---your late friend's family has a very fine gramophone as Orchorsol and Frankia have stated. It does seem to be an Expert Senior which is the second largest of the range made by the firm out of five different sizes. They were Cadet (smallest), Minor, Junior, Senior, All Range (largest). The Senior has a horn bell mouth diameter of approximately 28 inches which will be a useful check.

The firm of Expert was founded and run by Michael Ginn in June 1930 at Rathbone Place, thus this instrument will have been supplied between that date and 1933 when the firm moved to Soho Square. The same man also founded the rival firm of EMG (Ellis Michael Ginn) in 1922 but fell out with his co-directors at the end of the decade.

The horn seems to be in structurally sound condition with little sag and tidying up of the finishing paper will restore it to former glory. The casework might also benefit from renewed attention according to taste. As Orchorsol has stated, the soundbox could well be an EMG item but a more detailed photo will reveal all. The cushion stuffed into the horn is an amusing sight and was the origin of the expression of elementary volume control "put a sock in it !".

These gramophones have a large following of dedicated enthusiasts (I am one) and considerable value. The sound produced is generally thought of as "holographic" in as much as the voices or instruments appear actually to be in the same room as the listener---a unique, beguiling and compulsive experience. The sound is directional. If you type either EMG or Expert gramophone into YouTube you will be able to get a rough idea of the sound of both types although the only true way to experience the magic (for it is such) is to be physically in front of the horn.

As far as selling is concerned, your advice is good and best prices will be obtained either at auction or from private collectors. Whilst not common, there are generally a small number of instruments sold every year establishing evidence of values, depending upon condition/soundbox/motor etc, of anything between £3,000 and £7,500 currently. This seems a wide range but restoration costs are expensive, thus condition is particularly pertinent. A sale on eBay might be your best way forward where dealing costs are less than at the auction houses but where many enthusiasts are also to be found.

I hope this is helpful.

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Hello!

I am most interested in this gramophone. I sent you an email from garret.girmus "at" gmail.com

Garret