My HMV 102 Red Case (1948)! Pics

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
dilhermandodidi
Victor O
Personal Text: Life is wonderful.

My HMV 102 Red Case (1948)! Pics

Post by dilhermandodidi »

:lol: I love my HMV soo much... it's in perfect condition, but the red leather case is slightly damaged ... how can I restore it? My reproducer no.5b it's good too, but sometimes sounds badly. Does are the loud tone needles? Thanks for watch! Some vintage mags from my Collection here!

Retrograde
Victor III

Re: My HMV 102 Red Case (1948)! Pics

Post by Retrograde »

dilhermandodidi wrote:it's in perfect condition, but the red leather case is slightly damaged ... how can I restore it?
I recommend using red shoe polish or cream on the outside of the machine. Polish it as you would a pair of shoes or boots. I don't know what brand is available in you're area, but I'm sure you can fine a shoe repair shop that can get any color or brand you may want.

If you would like to replace the carrying strap (handle), you might try this Ebay seller.

Tinkerbell
Victor III

Post by Tinkerbell »

O seu gramofone é lindo! :rose:

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Retrograde wrote:
dilhermandodidi wrote:it's in perfect condition, but the red leather case is slightly damaged ... how can I restore it?
I recommend using red shoe polish or cream on the outside of the machine. Polish it as you would a pair of shoes or boots. I don't know what brand is available in you're area, but I'm sure you can fine a shoe repair shop that can get any color or brand you may want.

If you would like to replace the carrying strap (handle), you might try this Ebay seller.
Good advice, but try a little of the polish on an inconspicuous area before commiting yourself.

I would only use a coloured polish on the exterior of the case, as the interior appears to be in excellent condition.

No-one has yet mentioned that the case covering of your 102E is not leather, but a synthetic substitute commonly known as leatherette. HMV did produce a "De Luxe" version of the 102 in red leather with gold plated fittings, but this was discontinued in the 1930's.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Indeed! I wonder if anyone can shed any light on the inequities of 102 prices? I do have a red leather gold plated 102 in very nice unrestored condition complete with its original handle, correct No. 16 soundbox, instruction booklet and original key/ring with factory fitted clip to stop the governor rotating in transit. It is the second version of the 102 from 1933. My example was offered for sale for YEARS by Don Watson (apparently at Croydon and Wimbledon record fairs amongst other venues) at a very reasonable price ie sub £150. It didn't sell. Don being Don, he decided to keep it and then refused to sell it for ANY price. I eventually prized it out of his hands for £200 in a private deal. A few CLPGS members chuckled to themselves having remembered it failing to sell for 150. However I note that in this recent weekend an ordinary bog standard blue 102 sold for £450!!!!!!!!! on fleabay :shock:

What is going on? Do collectors now value and prefer the lesser versions of any machine? It's nonsensical to me. Maybe I need to count the screw threads on my motor board screws at bit more. Or maybe just get out more? :lol:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111085940362

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

That blue 102 was in fantastic condition, and an attractive colour, too. (mine is a much darker blue, and nowhere as nice). Any coloured 102 seems to fetch high prices lately, even those in pretty rough condition.
Now, before someone jumps on me, the following comments are my personal opinion, and not a criticism of anyone elses taste! I can honestly say that if I was offered a red leather 101 or 102 with gilt fittings for £50, I wouldn't buy it. I think the gilt looks as though it came straight out of a spray can, looks cheap, and is usually scratched off round the arm, where it fits into the retaining clip. The cabinets are usually stained and scuffed, and a rather fetching shade of pink. No, give me a really smart red 102 in leatherette with sparkling chrome fittings anyday! Good job we don't all want the same things, or 102s would be selling for thousands by now!

Barry

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

My red 102 is similarly tatty on the outside (though my corners and latch are not as nice as the one above), but the inside is pristine. I don't feel bad about using it as intended, carrying it around to various outdoor functions, car shows, etc. I think I paid a little over $100 for it last year.

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

I bought a black 101 and a green 102 in 2005 for around $100 each off fleabay. I've watched the prices since then go up and up (UK ebay has really high prices). Blue and red are the two colors that command high prices for some reason. I can't explain it, but those two colors do catch the eye like a shapely woman in a dress of the same color.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

It seems as though tastes have not changed since the 102 was in production.

Of the coloured versions, blue was the best seller followed by red and green. The unpopular brown and grey were soon discontinued and are therefore rarer today, but rarity does not always equate with value to a collector.

The red leather version is sought after today, but good examples are hard to find as both the leather case covering and the gold plating were rather thin and therefore susceptible to wear and tear.

The real rarities are probably light green and the almost mythical pink.

On UK eBay there seems to be an almost insatiable demand for the 102 in any version and in any condition. When or if the bubble will burst I have no idea.

I am old enough to have bought a 102 brand new. It was one of the batch of 102D's made for the Ministry of Supply, unused examples of which were sold in Army Surplus shops in the 1960's. They are identifiable by the instruction plate mounted below the HMV logo inside the lid.

The cost?

£5.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

That blue 102 was in fantastic condition,
I'd beg to differ on that. For such a colossal sum, it wasn't that great at all in reality. The lock and carrying handle clasps were very rusty and the handle itself was tatty! Some years ago I saw a MINT red 102 from the late 1950's - and I do mean MINT! Even the chrome corner shields had not the slightest marks or wear to them. It had been boxed from new and for all intents and purposes it still was. It was priced at £200 at the NVCF. It was at the fair all day and no one bought it.........well that was until I decided to go back and have a go at it. Then it had gone! :cry:

Even though it was a very common machine I could find on any given day, I would have bought it purely for the condition. I've never seen another one as good as that BUT if I did I would like to think I would buy it at the right sensible price ie not £500!