HMV?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
bingchen1
Victor O

HMV?

Post by bingchen1 »

I found this in a local antique shop in the states, thought it was a victrola but it didn't have a tag. people int he other section told me it was a uk machine but I don't even know where to look up information on it. Can anyone point me at the right direction? :)
http://i.imgur.com/o0WdD2V.jpg

dennman6
Victor I

Re: HMV?

Post by dennman6 »

Not quite a Victrola, but it's in the same family. What you found is an HMV Bijou Grand, c. 1910. This is a UK model, & the family connection is that the Victor Talking Machine Company & HMV were partners of a kind & cross licensed each others' recording masters for issue in their respective markets. The Bijou Grand is about the equivalent of the Victor VV-X Victrola; entry level but well made & a good, reliable player.

bingchen1
Victor O

Post by bingchen1 »

Thank you, it's going for $800 US could anyone tell me if that is a reasonable price? I have no idea what it's worth.
Also there is a metal rod and dust ring, I'm guessing it's missing something but i'm not sure what.
http://i.imgur.com/m7Hmjrk.jpg

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Yes, it's a "Style No. 11" mahogany "Library Bijou Grand" and well worth buying. Even in the UK they hardly ever turn up for sale. $800 seems a fair price if it is all original and un-messed with. That is equivalent to about £500 Sterling. A few years ago these were fetching more like £750. It isn't a bargain in the real sense but it is a good price for something you wouldn't otherwise see in the States. It would cost more than £500 to send one over there from here anyway, let's put it that way! If you want it I would buy it before someone else does.

BTW, I can't identify clearly what you have encircled in the second link posted?

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

bingchen1 wrote: Also there is a metal rod and dust ring, I'm guessing it's missing something but i'm not sure what.
http://i.imgur.com/m7Hmjrk.jpg
The "dust ring" is probably the felt of the 12" turntable, which is only partly covered by the 10" disc. The Exhibition reproducer seems to be missing.

bingchen1
Victor O

Post by bingchen1 »

She has the crank and a cheap reproduction reproducer in the side closet. I would love to have it, but the lack of reproducer and this mystery rod makes me wonder about the price. I'm willing to buy another exhibition but would like to know what I'm getting myself into first with the rod.
I looked up the model and don't see any of them having the metal rod on the side like this one. I'm not sure if it was added by someone?
I'll go around later and take another picture but I'll try to describe it for now.
It almost looks like a tiny 10-12 cm turn table is taken out, leaving a second small dust circle and a metal rod in the middle.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

bingchen1 wrote:It almost looks like a tiny 10-12 cm turn table is taken out, leaving a second small dust circle and a metal rod in the middle.
Speed adjustment with missing knob?

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Remains of one of those "dancing doll" contraptions that used the edge of the turntable as it's drive?

bingchen1
Victor O

Post by bingchen1 »

That could be it! I remember opening the back and it was hooked up to something it might spin. In that case I have no idea where to get a spinning doll :(

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

That metal post (I can't see any "ring", dust or otherwise, as the picture is low resolution) has absolutely NOTHING to do with the workings of the machine whatsoever. It must be the remnant of something added in at some point by a previous owner - nothing to get too steamed over. I have an Expert machine with a similar looking "post" attached to the motor-board, now redundant. No one has a clue what it might have been a part of. I do not let it bother me. The G & T machine has a triple-spring Victor motor with circular speed control dial with small knurled edge thumb screw in the centre. The brake mechanism will be a simple "canon" type.