Anyone here going to Powick tomorrow?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Phono48
Victor IV

Re: Anyone here going to Powick tomorrow?

Post by Phono48 »

Just my humble contribution. Unfortunately I couldn't attend this year, due to work commitments. I would very much like to have gone, as last year I bought a very nice HMV 94 "export model" portable from John Sleep, at a very reasonable price,as well as about 50 discs, some of which I have wanted for a long time. I also managed to buy an arm retaining clip for my HMV 114 portable,(another "export" job) which I never thought I would get, for the exhorbitant sum of £3.00! The stallholders were friendly and helpful, and the ladies in the refreshment room did sterling work. I will definately arrange it so that I can attend next year.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

The 114 was not exactly an "export" model as much as it was a "colonial model", made and assembled in Calcutta with partly imported parts from Hayes. It does not appear in UK catalogues and was intended solely for the limited market in which it was made.

The 94 was a Hayes product and intended for export.

Signed

"His Master's Voice" :lol:
Last edited by Steve on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Thanks Steve, I didn't know that about the 114.

Re. the model 94,I wonder if the additional 3 letter "HMV" transfer underneath the usual trademark in the lid was added only when the machine reached it's foreign destination? In "His Master's Gramophone" it states that HMV (initials only) was not adopted by the factory at Hayes until after WW2, but that it was in common usage in India during the 1930s.
Barry

Wagnerian
Victor II

Post by Wagnerian »

Chaps,

I've tracked down some not particularly inspiring pictures from Powick but, sorry to be a complete numpty, how on earth do I post them on this board? Any advice in layman's language would be gratefully received.

All the best

Tim W-W

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Tim

Okay, firstly you need to use a host site to upload the pictures to. It sounds a nightmare at first but it's actually quite simple. I use picoodle.com

You need to upload the pictures from your server/hard-drive/PC etc to one of these sites and then you'll get various hyperlinks below each image for use of that picture elsewhere. Simply copy and paste the link of your choice (I select the one that says "Suitable for Forums") between the image command link which you'll see whenever you type a post - in the box into which you type your messages you'll see various command prompts above the text ie YouTube etc. Above these is a row of other tools, for instance BOLD text, italics etc. Towards the RHS you'll see a tool icon that says: Img This is the image command. When you select this, you'll get brackets appearing like this:

[img]INSERT-LINK-HERE[/img]

Simply insert the hyperlink from each picture into each pair of the brackets above and .....hopefully....VOILA!

It sounds like a nightmare but many people here who feared the worst initially, regularly post pictures in seconds whilst they're typing messages, drinking coffee, talking on their phones and playing table tennis at the same time! In other words, it gets easier with practice and becomes 'second nature'. :D

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

You can upload photos directly to the forum. When you are typing your reply, below you will see an "upload attachment" tab. Click the choose file button, locate the photo on your computer and then upload. To insert the photo into the post, click the "place inline" button next to the newly uploaded file and it will insert something that looks like this:

[ attachment=0 ]feedscrew cover.jpg[ /attachment ]

Once posted, that code will translate into the photos you uploaded. You can upload multiple photos in a single post.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

You can upload photos directly to the forum. When you are typing your reply, below you will see an "upload attachment" tab. Click the choose file button, locate the photo on your computer and then upload. To insert the photo into the post, click the "place inline" button next to the newly uploaded file and it will insert something that looks like this:

[ attachment=0 ]feedscrew cover.jpg[ /attachment ]

Once posted, that code will translate into the photos you uploaded. You can upload multiple photos in a single post.
Well I never. That's something else I've learnt today. Thank you, His Master's Voice.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Steve,

You are using a cumbersome approach the two posters, (i.e. the admin & moderator) need to use elsewhere. It's not necessary here.
Simply do as follows:

1 - Click "reply" on the thread you want to post in order to open a dialogue box
2 - Fill in any text you would like to in the dialoge box.
3 - Scroll down a bit. You will see a row where it says "file name" and "browse"
4 - Click on browse. Go to the place on your pc where the file is that you want to upload. (to keep it simple, you can move those files to your pc desktop first so they are easier to find.
5 - Click on the file you want to upload and select "open"
6 - You will see the box mentioned in 3) above filled with the location of the file you want to upload
7 - Below and to the right of the '"browse" button, click on "add the file"
8 - You'll see the upload commence, when it's done, you will see the file name in a below row.
9 - repeat process up to 8 times, (8 pic max per post)
10- Click on "submit" and your pictures will appear. :D

Same method described by HMV above but in more detail and skipping the "add inline" step. Another nice thing about posting here is if you have large file sizes, once they are posted, you can click on the image and blow it up to see an incredibly detailed image.
Attachments
IMG_9884.JPG
Last edited by Valecnik on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Testing, testing with two pictures of my recently acquired Pathé Diffusor WITH tone-arm for needle-cut records.
OMG, that only took seconds to do. No more messing with third part hosting sites.

Tim, ignore my post above when posting here and follow "His Master's Voice" and Valecnik, who certainly isn't the same voice as some might say! :roll:
Thank you, gentlemen.
4.jpg
1.jpg

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

If you blow the record box picture up to full magnitude, you can read the "copyright 1912" fine print on the lower right hand corner of the box. For those of us interested in such possibly unimportant details, that's a great feature here.