crown gramophone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
tomb
Victor IV

Re: crown gramophone

Post by tomb »

I have one like that and it is a genuine machine. I am missing the red horn and horn connector. It plays good. I saw Several on the auction sites. That one is a little better than mine. I think they ran over 100 euros, not sure, but they looked better. Tom B

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

epigramophone wrote:O ye of little faith!

This is a perfectly genuine machine made in the 1930's by or for the Kwong Loong Chan Company of 200 South Bridge Road, Singapore, who held the HMV dealership in Singapore for many years. Their solicitors took an advertisement in the Straits Times in June 1936 to establish the Company's right to use the Crown name on the gramophones and accessories which they made.

An article about the Crown gramophone by Howard Hope appeared in the CLPGS magazine "For the Record" Spring 2016 Issue No.57.
The case is made from heavy solid teak, beveled glass panels and a Garrard motor per Howard Hope. It was based on the HMV model 25 loosely. You will come across the once in a while in the US as they were manufactured overseas. Mine has no Crown horn and the decals are flaking off. Tom
Attachments
IMG_1535.JPG
IMG_1534.JPG
IMG_1532.JPG
IMG_1531.JPG
IMG_1530.JPG

budsta
Victor I

Post by budsta »

I've had one similar. I'm afraid I agree with epigramophone on this one.
A genuine machine, at least the case and horn are. It's hard to judge the tonearm.
Stephen