G & T Melba and pedestal for sale!!!!!

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

G & T Melba and pedestal for sale!!!!!

Post by Steve »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281133442027

I am tempted myself, even at this price, but what puts me off is knowing how un-original and usually restored a lot of the vendor's items are. I do not trust the description. It does not look totally untouched by me. What does the panel think?

AZ*
Victor IV

Re: G & T Melba and pedestal for sale!!!!!

Post by AZ* »

These are certainly rare and special. I've only seen one up close -- at Jasper's place.

You may be right. It seems a bit suspicious. If I were in the market (which I'm not) I would need to see it in person.
Best regards ... AZ*

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

I can see wear to the ebonized finish around the corners and edges. If it has been refinished then this is a very artful aging job. Probably the finish at least is mostly real.

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

Steve wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281133442027

I am tempted myself, even at this price, but what puts me off is knowing how un-original and usually restored a lot of the vendor's items are. I do not trust the description. It does not look totally untouched by me. What does the panel think?
I have bought three all-original machines from Guido and will doubtless buy more. He repaired one that was damaged by unusually rough handling for free. I could not have been more impressed.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I have bought three all-original machines from Guido and will doubtless buy more. He repaired one that was damaged by unusually rough handling for free. I could not have been more impressed.
Well I'm genuinely very pleased for you. You obviously have the luck.

In contrast to your good fortune I bought a horn machine from him described as being totally original and unrestored but what I received was a cabinet with one side completely (and very obviously) replaced! Quite apart from the fact that the mouldings were amateurishly carved, the colour and quality of the finish applied was also very different. It took me less than a minute to spot this fault on removal of the packing materials. But how can anyone who has been dealing with these items for 40 years not spot this?

In fairness he did agree to give me a very small token refund (only upon request and only after I had sent him photos of the machine he had just sold me) which should cover the cost of getting a professional to remake the moulding but it's hardly the point, is it? Two other collectors told me to just "throw it back at him and demand all your money back" but I wanted to keep the machine as I had never seen another example for sale.

It did sour my views on buying from any dealers, given other problems I have had with all dealers in the past. As AZ has said, you simply have to see these things in person before agreeing to buy.

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

Steve, I am disappointed to learn such news, but I am grateful for your information, thanks. As always, buyer beware.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I looked at the machine and had some questions on it. It's still a nice machine though. The crank looks to be a reproduction. The horn looks like an after market American horn. Were these types of horns easy to get and popular in Europe? Also, the back bracket looks American. Weren't these back brackets nickle plated, and the later ones black with gilding? I always liked the HMV machines.
Harvey Kravitz

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

VintageTechnologies wrote:Steve, I am disappointed to learn such news, but I am grateful for your information, thanks. As always, buyer beware.
I also bought a machine off eBAY from him, Pathéphone no. 12. It was very accurately described and I had no issues with it when I got it. He sold an absolutely stunning Idelia on eBAY a few years back for much much more than he's asking for the Melba. I talked to the purchaser after the auction and he was very pleased with it.

All that being said, I'd still ask a lot of questions of anyone before considering spending that type of money. It surely appears to be in very good original condtion and I'd love to have it except for the shortage of $$$ :cry:

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Guido is one of the most honest and straightforward dealers in this (or any) business. I spoke to him today about this piece and he mentioned that he hasn't had a single direct question about it, despite many viewings. I'm sure he would be pleased to directly answer anybody who takes the time to ask.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

The Pathéphone no. 12 I bought from him. One of my favorite machines.
Attachments
Pathephone no. 12.jpg