G & T Melba and pedestal for sale!!!!!

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: G & T Melba and pedestal for sale!!!!!

Post by Steve »

Well, ask if the crank is original. Maybe also ask why the gilt/brass is a completely different colour on the machine to the pedestal. Whilst you're at it ask why the turntable felt is green and not blue.

I'm not disputing that some of you have bought wonderful machines from this gentleman. I too have bought a beautiful HMV 112 from him, in fact, the best one I've ever seen by miles. What I am saying though is that for this sort of outlay you really need to inspect the item in person to satisfy yourself as, dealers whether they have been in the business for 40 years or not, sometimes make mistakes and get it wrong. In the instance of the horn machine I bought he clearly got it wrong. My advice to all dealers in this situation is not to automatically think that the buyer is a liar and to challenge the buyer's intelligence or honesty. That is unforgivable in my view.

In a few instances where I have been "challenged" I have had to photograph the offending part of the machine and send the picture back to the seller before they've agreed that they got it wrong. I would respect any dealer who put his hands up and says "Sorry I got it wrong" when you point something out to them but many are in denial and assume that their preceding reputation of being an expert in the field will automatically get them of the hook.

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

Steve wrote:What I am saying though is that for this sort of outlay you really need to inspect the item in person to satisfy yourself as.
I whole heartedly agree, because I had to learn my lesson when buying from this dealer. Inform yourself very well before purchase, otherwise you possibly regret it. At all events you must ask very specifically about restored, added or wrong parts, as Guido won't tell you voluntarily.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

as Guido won't tell you voluntarily
That's what I take issue with. It doesn't matter who the dealer is, whether you know them personally or not or even if they're just a one of a kind eBay seller. Any honest person will disclose ALL faults with an item without needing to be asked very targeted questions by potential buyers. I agree with you, Starkton, and although it's disappointing to hear of your problem, it does at least make me feel a bit better knowing that at least my problem wasn't a one-off. It also demonstrates that I'm not making anything up.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Any honest person will disclose ALL faults with an item without needing to be asked very targeted questions by potential buyers.
Easy to say, Steve, but so far I have not found a single dealer who is completely honest about the condition of their machines. The only times when sellers were forthcoming were when I personally inspected the article - evidently in those instances it is difficult for the seller to hide some flaw. That been said, I bought one Victor from Guido that was in excellent shape, no flaws, but it arrived with a broken governor spring - certainly broken in transportation - and he sent me a replacement set of three springs the day after I communicated to him, so no complaints there.

My best experiences have been when buying from collectors, some of them members of this forum, and on both sides of the Atlantic.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

so far I have not found a single dealer who is completely honest about the condition of their machines.
That is very sad, Carlos, but so true. I share the same experience as you. It doesn't reflect well on humanity.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

After all that it didn't sell anyway so the seller has relisted it at FIVE THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED Dollars more than last time :!: :!: :!: :shock: :? :roll:

A provocation I think.

musicman
Victor Jr

Post by musicman »

After all that it didn't sell anyway so the seller has relisted it at FIVE THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED Dollars more than last time

BUT..... now it's free shipping :D

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Steve wrote:After all that it didn't sell anyway so the seller has relisted it at FIVE THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED Dollars more than last time :!: :!: :!: :shock: :? :roll:

A provocation I think.
It looks like it was re-listed as Buy it Now or Best Offer. I think raising the price when switching to fixed price is normal. When I list items as Best Offer, I always list them higher, since people will always try to get a deal.

2Bdecided
Victor I

Post by 2Bdecided »

I understand that approach - but anyone who saw it fail to sell at the previous price will surely want to make an offer below the previous price? Seeing such a high buy-it-now discourages that.

I wonder though whether the opposite approach (list high BIN first, then lower auction second) looks more desperate.

If you have the balls for it (and good luck), a 99p start is often a good way to achieve a great price for something wonderful, assuming more than one person wants it. Sometimes a higher staring price gives the buyer a good impression of the value of an item, but sometimes it just puts them off.

Irrational as it sounds, I'm sure some bidders are put off by starting prices that are lower than they are willing to pay. Or, to put it another way, I'm sure some bidders and suckered in by low starting prices, and then get carried away - finally bidding an amount that, if it had been the starting price, would have prevented them from ever bidding at all.

The psychology of on-line auctions - there's a book to be written! (Probably several already have?)

Cheers,
David.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

I can't see any logic in listing any item for sale at auction at X start price (the reserve) and when it fails to sell, relisting it for a much higher price at a fixed Buy It Now price? To me that is like the seller is saying it was worth more than I was prepared to sell it for before now, so to hell with you all, if you want it now you'll have to pay what I think it's worth!

Or am I reading too much human psychology into all this? :lol: