G & T Melba and pedestal for sale!!!!!

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Re: G & T Melba and pedestal for sale!!!!!

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Steve wrote:I can't see any logic in listing any item for sale at auction at X start price (the reserve) and when it fails to sell, relisting it for a much higher price at a fixed Buy It Now price? To me that is like the seller is saying it was worth more than I was prepared to sell it for before now, so to hell with you all, if you want it now you'll have to pay what I think it's worth!

Or am I reading too much human psychology into all this? :lol:
The logic is, when you are listing as an auction, you only have a set amount of time for the ONE buyer who must have your item to see it. When listed at a fixed price, the item can remain there indefinitely, greatly increasing the chance that that buyer who is willing to pay the price you are asking will see it. If you think about it, it's the same principal as the starting bid at an auction house being much lower than the price tag would be at a shop.

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

Steve wrote: Or am I reading too much human psychology into all this?
I think we all agree that $19,5k was a ridiculous price for a Melba (with stand) in this condition. Listing the same item afterwards for $25k, twice its actual value, is, after my reading, an invitation to agree on a price outside the auction platform.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I think we all agree that $19,5k was a ridiculous price for a Melba (with stand) in this condition. Listing the same item afterwards for $25k, twice its actual value, is, after my reading, an invitation to agree on a price outside the auction platform.
I agree but does it not suggest that the "agreed price" will be higher than the original "asking price" was via the original start bid? It's an unusual approach and one I am not familiar with. Most appear to agree that usually once an item fails to get an opening bid, the seller will normally go on to ask less, not more. It's all mind games because it is arguable that the seller is hopeful that by asking an over-the-top price, he might get an offer substantially less and yet this lower offer price might in fact be very agreeable to the seller. Shops and other retailers do this: inflate the prices of goods just prior to a "sale" in order to make the final acceptable selling price appear to be a bargain when indeed it isn't.

On the wider point of value, you seem to agree that this gramophone is not all perfect and completely original and untouched but I would have thought it would still command an asking price of $15,000 in this condition?