Gilt Red HMV 101

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
2Bdecided
Victor I

Gilt Red HMV 101

Post by 2Bdecided »

Not one for the UK trader section, since it has already sold...
http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/aucti ... hitem=true
...for £180 (or £212.40 when commission and VAT is paid).

I had a look at it "in the flesh" and it wasn't as bad as some of the wrecked gilt 101s that have turned up on eBay, but it had some issues....
Active woodworm, with three holes on the carrying handle side, and various insects in the record holder.
The wrong soundbox - a 5A with shattered pot metal all around the connector, and concentric cracks around the back. How much would the correct gilt No.4 cost these days?

However, it had all its feet, and much of the case had been preserved by a cover - where the cover had ripped, sections of the case were faded from red to brown. There were some marks on the top and around the studs of the case, but nothing too bad. A small bit of leatherette was missing on the front corner edges.
Inside the gilt was very good on the tone arm, but scratched off on parts of the controls and turntable. Outside the gilt was pitted but surprisingly good.

Howard hope managed to sell a mint one of these for £450 in a day. I'd rather pay that for a mint one than £212+ for this. Maybe someone already has the gilt No.4 waiting? Then with some woodworm killer and boot polish you'd have a nice machine.

That leather inside felt really nice!

(going to my therapy group now for people who like to feel the inside of gramophones ;) ).

Seriously though, compared with the rexine or wooden motor boards of regular 101s, this must have been sumptuous when new.

It had the provenance of belonging to a lady, with her name address on the outside of the ripped cover (sadly I didn't photograph that).

Cheers,
David.
Attachments
101_front.jpg
101_top.jpg
101_top.jpg (68.06 KiB) Viewed 2998 times
101_worm.jpg
101_view.jpg

Retrograde
Victor III

Re: Gilt Red HMV 101

Post by Retrograde »

What did the woodworm say when he went to the pub?
Is the bar tender here?
:lol:

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Many thanks for the pictures, David. Well, here's an irony. We're experiencing the classic "London Bus Syndrome" of late. Firstly, a very rare Dulcephone turns up with brass horn. Then within two weeks another IDENTICAL specimen of the same model appears with an even nicer horn, but in a lesser condition and horrendously expensive (most thought Dave Smith's machine over-priced - I didn't - but the latter example is another £1500 on top!). Personally, I've decided to wait for number three to turn up. Then it'll be another 25 years before anyone sees another.

Now, the red leather 101's with CANVAS carrying cases included. In 22 years I've never seen one. Then, last week a really really nice red leather 101 turns up complete with canvas outer carrier. Fortunately although I did bid on it I didn't lose it to a complete stranger - a friend of mine got it without me knowing he had also been bidding on it. We're trying to help with the collection and delivery of it at the moment. Well done! I know he also views this forum.

Then less than a week later ANOTHER red deluxe 101 turns up with canvas case. Now, I did wait and wait and wait yesterday quite patiently for this lot to arrive but the auctioneer was very ssssllllllooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwww! :) A couple of weeks ago I lost two machines by misjudging an auctioneer's sale rate and several people commented that that auctioneer was "average" and what I thought to be super quick was actually normal. Well, tell that to the auctioneer of this 101! I got so bored waiting that I fell asleep in the sun and woke up too late to bid. I'm not bothered now and thank David and fate that I didn't bid as the condition was not so hot.

But, where or when will the next red deluxe 101 with rarer than Hen's Teeth canvas carrier turn up?

Looking from my window I have just spotted a man in a van carrying something looking suspiciously like a small gramophone and it's red. I'm off!............... :D

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

False alarm! :lol:

I think I might know who bought this. Someone who claims to be a collector but is secretly a dealer, buys poor condition tat usually and especially portables, sells on eBay and who very luckily acquired a FREE gold-plated No. 4 soundbox recently when he turned a saxophone horn machine upside down that he had just bought and a perfect spare specimen fell out the horn! :evil:

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Well, it proves that [certain kinds of] saxophones are good for *something* ;)

Q: What's the difference between a saxophone and a chain saw?

A: You can tune a chain saw.

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

Tell it to Wiedoft!

Now as for the machine in question, it may well have been more highly valued for its historic associations, as it is part of the residue of the estate of Lady Frainy Bomanji, a well-known and much beloved resident of Harrowgate.

The story of the Lady and her husband, the Indian industrialist Sir Dhunjibhoy Bomanji, who settled at Pineheath in the late 1920's is an interesting one indeed.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

That might explain some of the other sale contents. Thank you for the info. I'll look them up!

Steve

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

Steve wrote: But, where or when will the next red deluxe 101 with rarer than Hen's Teeth canvas carrier turn up?
Hereafter, cancel "rarer than Hen's Teeth" and fill in "uncommon."