G&T labels??

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
saxymojo
Victor II

G&T labels??

Post by saxymojo »

Hi

I would like to find out what the transfer on the machine pictured below would have looked like, I think it was similar to the bottom photo with Barcelona on it. The machine was originaly sold from Maison Raphael 76, Rue De Rome Marseille. So I was wondering would it have Barcelona?

How many different types of decals did G&T make of this type?

Thanks for any help.

Regards Marcel
Attachments
IMGP1239.JPG
PB080020.JPG
IMGP1261.JPG
IMGP1183.JPG

Starkton
Victor IV

Re: G&T labels??

Post by Starkton »

Originally, your gramophone of about 1904 was sold by the Spanish subbranch of Compagnie Francaise du Gramophone, which traded as Compania Franzesa del Gramophone, at Barcelona. Why do you list it under "UK machines" ??

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

What a lovely machine.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

saxymojo
Victor II

Post by saxymojo »

Starkton wrote:Originally, your gramophone of about 1904 was sold by the Spanish subbranch of Compagnie Francaise du Gramophone, which traded as Compania Franzesa del Gramophone, at Barcelona. Why do you list it under "UK machines" ??
Hi

Thanks for the info, I thought it would have had the Barcelona label, just wanted to check that there wasn't a label I was unaware of.

I put the post under UK machines because it is a G&T not Victor.

Thanks Marcel

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

saxymojo wrote: I put the post under UK machines because it is a G&T not Victor.
Think again about it. It was built from U.S. and, very likely, German parts, and was either assembled in Germany, France or Spain. It has never seen the U.K.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Think again about it. It was built from U.S. and, very likely, German parts, and was either assembled in Germany, France or Spain. It has never seen the U.K.
The hardware is obviously US made, even the back-bracket by the looks of it (later examples were cast brass and made exclusively for Spanish market). The cabinet is almost certainly German origin. The hardware was imported by G & T in London and distributed exclusively by the London outlet to France which then had the commission to supply Spain. So technically the machine was never from the UK, true, but the hardware did spend some time there, if only a few weeks! The French department of G & T assembled the machine with the German imported cabinet and dispatched it to Spain. The Spanish office of G & T was only a tiny satellite distribution centre down a small back-street. As far as I know it never made or assembled any machines.

saxymojo
Victor II

Post by saxymojo »

Hi

Thanks Steve.

Does anyone have any printed info on this machine? I have never seen another, were there many made? I love the European machines they have so much character.

I always associated G&T with the UK, and Victor with the USA, I am well aware that parts were made in the USA amongst other places. What does it matter where I post it anyway, there was no Barcelona Machines thread ;)

Regards Marcel

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Marcel,

You're welcome! AFAIK there is scant information available about any of these machines. Your best bet would be to contact Jalal Aro at Phonogalerie. I know he owns at least one early (1909?) Spanish catalogue so he might have more?

The European machines are my most favourite areas of interest. To me they are so much more interesting, often with elaborately designed cabinets and they exist in tiny numbers. How many were made? Well, a continental dealer offered me the number "five" when I asked him to guess how many of each Spanish model existed! I wonder if he's right?!

Let us know if you do find any catalogues. I am still looking for the model ID of the machine I bought earlier this year.

Regards,

Steve
Last edited by Steve on Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

saxymojo wrote:What does it matter where I post it anyway, there was no Barcelona Machines thread
This is a good point. Why not call this forum "European machines" ?!

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

That would be a good idea!

From the American perspective, Victor was a US organisation responsible for supplying half the world with talking machines of its brand. G & T / HMV was the UK organisation affiliated to Victor that was responsible for supplying the other half of the world with the "same" brand - very loosely the same brand. I guess this is why continental G & T / HMV products are deemed to be of British descent and categorised as such here.

As the main forum here is not headed "US Machines" that should include ALL other European makers / models eg. Parlophon