HMV102 query

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

HMV102 query

Post by epigramophone »

The rubber "feet" pressed into the cases of coloured HMV102 portables are often perished or even missing. 13mm rubber cistern washers are the nearest replacements I have been able to find, but these only seem to be available in black, and two are required to achieve the correct depth.

Bearing in mind that blue, green and red are the colours most likely to be needed, does anyone know of a better substitute?

soundgen
Victor V

Re: HMV102 query

Post by soundgen »

Ralph Schumacher had a lot of these "feet" , black only though , but they painted up nicely for coloured portables , he may still have some you can contact him via his business card see below

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

Thankyou Mike. I will follow this up.

Roger.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

I've made dozens of these, in various colours. You need rapid-setting Araldite, a small selection of tubes of acrylic artist's paint, (white and black are essential) some Plasticine, and talcum powder. Mixing up the colour to the shade you need can be a bit of a trial, bearing in mind it will darken as it dries, but wait until you have made the mould before mixing, as it dries quickly. Press one of the existing feet into the plasticine, but gently, as they can snap if the rubber has gone really brittle. Remove the foot, and dust the plasticine with talcum powder. Now mix your paint,and when happy with the shade,mix up a little Araldite as normal. You'll only be able to make about four at a time, before the Araldite begins to set, so don't use too much, or it will be wasted. Then, using a cocktail stick, stir in a drop or two of the paint. Again using a cocktail stick, pick up some of the mixture and drip it into the mould. Better to overfill, as it's easy to sand down when dry.As soon as the mixture is in the mould, dip a finger in talc, and gently press the mixture down to ensure it fills the mould with no gaps. Leave for 24 hours, and remove from the mould. Clean off any Plasticine with white spirit. The foot may still be quite pliable at this point. However, don't be tempted to use it as it is, or it will flatten out when the weight of the gramophone is put on it. Place in the oven at 100 degrees for about an hour, and when cold, sand off any excess depth by rubbing the flat side over abrasive paper. I usually do about a dozen at a time, which gives you a bit of leeway if some turn out with air bubbles etc. A little bit harder than rubber, but won't flatten out when weight is applied, and doesn't mark polished surfaces. If you find the colour doesn't exactly match the originals, then replace all four with your newly made ones!

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

That sounds like an idea worth trying, but I would wait until my wife was out before putting them in the oven,