HMV Auction Haul "As Found"

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

HMV Auction Haul "As Found"

Post by epigramophone »

I recently attended a traditional general sale. No catalogue, no estimates, no reserves, no condition reports and no internet coverage. You just go along in the hope that you may find something of interest.

I purchased the three machines pictured here for a total of £110 plus buyer's premium. Needless to say they all need work and the picture flatters them, but they will all be interesting projects.

I never cease to be surprised by what is still out there waiting to be discovered.
Attachments
Auction 001.JPG

emgcr
Victor IV

Re: HMV Auction Haul "As Found"

Post by emgcr »

What a coup---well done Roger---should keep you busy all winter................

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Even if they need a bit of work, for £110 that's a great score! Well done.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Red 102 must be worth what a green one is worth ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Radio-Televis ... sn=ewpgram

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Red 102 must be worth what a green one is worth
Not exactly. Roger's little haul appears to include the DELUXE 102 in proper red leather with gold-plated fittings. These are worth at least double the price of an ordinary red, blue or green leathercloth example.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

It is indeed the red leather and gilt 102, complete with record tray, and it cost me the grand sum of £40!

It is definitely going to be a "keeper" as it is many years since I last saw one, and it may be many more years before I find another.

As soon as I found the last remaining space in the auctioneer's tiny car park, I had the feeling that it was going to be a good day... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

£40 for a DELUXE 102 is a steal! Could a really good example make over £500 on eBay? I reckon so. I see that your example does need a little TLC but I'm sure you will only improve on it over time and for £40......£40!!!!!!.....you undoubtedly got the bargain of the year.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

Auctions can be very strange. The punters, most of whom appeared to be secondhand furniture dealers, preferred the shiny chrome of the blue 102 to the dull gold of the red one and bid it up to a staggering £42!

If you have done the maths you will know that the Model 130 only managed £28, not that I am complaining..... ;)

2Bdecided
Victor I

Post by 2Bdecided »

Oh epigramophone, I'm trying to decide just how jealous I am! ;) I was very jealous, but then I realised just how many auctions I'd probably have to go to before finding something like that, and how many days off work that would mean, and how much earnings that would lose me, and then I thought "oh well, that would lose me more money that it would save me". So that made me happier. :) Then I realised that by going to work I've still not aquired a red gilt HMV portable, and I'm not likely to.

I just hope I live to be retired!

In the meantime I'm resolving to spend more time playing the gramophones that I do own. More time playing and less time looking on eBay might be a good thing for me. :)

Cheers,
David.