How times have changed !

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
soundgen
Victor V

How times have changed !

Post by soundgen »

These Tyrela gramophones were seling for £600 in the 1980's now on Ebay at £200 with no buyers yet !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tyrela-Oval-C ... 3a8362f34a

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: How times have changed !

Post by Steve »

I can't imagine why anyone would have paid £600 for what amounts to an otherwise dull cabinet machine with "Swiss parts". Once you get beyond the circular shape, it is a common pattern of machine and technologically uninteresting. And it takes up the same space as a conventional cabinet in a square corner of a room!

"ian2800" is not normally offering 'cheap' items. Apart from the motor not working, it is not a cosmetically perfect example. I imagine any buyer for these is looking for a novelty piece of furniture and probably expects perfection, sans marks, scratches etc.

In contrast to this, has anyone else noticed that Guido has now sold that Dulcephone which he was asking £1500 more than Dave Smith was for a better example?

This goes some distance to disprove what a certain naysayer has been maintaining for some time. It's true that selling tatty items from your garage must be hard and slow work giving rise to the question "Why do I bother anymore?" In truth, GOOD items in smart condition still sell very well and prices are rising for sought after machines.