Does anyone know how old a Bassanophone is?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
StarTMachine
Victor Jr

Does anyone know how old a Bassanophone is?

Post by StarTMachine »

I recently acquired a beautiful cabinet machine called a Bassanophone at a rather good price (very cheap I thought for todays prices). It nearly killed the guys who delivered it as I didn't realize how heavy the thing was until I looked inside it. My goodness! What a motor! :shock: I have never seen one so big and to see that the motor was mounted on two steel arms. I think this is the biggest motor I have in a machine to date. The rest of the machine is in excellent condition with all original parts including its nickel plated motor - plays for 40 minutes on a single winding using its original winding handle, original arm, soundbox and legs. Mind you, I wonder how the legs have remained in tact after seeing the the size of the motor and the weight that the slim legs are having to hold up.

The soundbox is very unusual with the diaphragm inbetween two connecting tubes. Is this an original patented idea or a copy?

Surely the gramophone can't date from 1908, can it? If so, it must be one of the first machines with auto-shut off / braking system. Is it rare? it's certainly a grand piece supplied by Harrods.

Charley

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Re: Does anyone know how old a Bassanophone is?

Post by FloridaClay »

Can you post some pictures?

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

The straight answer is no!

I also would like to know what period these come from, seeing how they are well made with steel horns, predating HMV by a good 20 years. The brake mechanism was designed for ELECTRIC motors and patented in 1908. Are the cabinet models THAT old? I'm pleased you have found a good example of a fine quality and yes, rare, machine. The only example I've ever seen in the flesh was a tatty specimen missing the arm/soundbox, winder and legs (!) at SAS Auctions. It sold for just £22 and the buyer thought he had a bargain. He didn't, it was literally a load of old tat that new legs will be badly stitched to before it reappears on eBay some day. I can't wait. :lol:

From what I can tell these are probably the best machines made in Britain before the Great War.

StarTMachine
Victor Jr

Post by StarTMachine »

I also would like to know what period these come from, seeing how they are well made with steel horns, predating HMV by a good 20 years.
Steve - Yes, along with your interest and question any information would be welcome.

FloridaClay - I'll try and post some pictures later as I need to find out how to do this first.

Tune in later chaps (and ladies).

:coffee: