Help with springs - Videos and photos

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: Help with springs - Videos and photos

Post by Lucius1958 »

soundgen wrote:sorry but it is still the governor ! been there done that ! take the governor out , remove the spindle , either file inside the pot metal governor to remove sticking points ( they are there )or get some valve grinding paste and place on the spindle and work the spindle in and out of the pot metal part 50 to 100 times , remove all grinding paste ( ear buddies and lots of oil ) and reassemble and it will work perfectly !
Pardon my confusion, but wouldn't a tight / sticky flange cause the governor to run fast? The binding would prevent the flange from moving properly, so the disc would not move to meet the pads….

In this case, I'd say either re-adjusting the governor on its bearings, or re-adjusting the speed lever is what is needed.

Bill

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

you need to remove the two screws holding the governor bearings in place , then remove the bearings , make a note of their position before taking them out so you can replace them in the same position , now take the bearings out , as you have found this can be difficult , HMV used greases and oils on their machines which have other the years become adhesives and the bearings are trapped , try leaving that part of the assembly in penetrating oil over night, if this doesn't help , try a strong grip wrench to rotate an remove , last resort take a screwdriver and hammer and hammer them out from the inside try not to damage the governor ends , you'll find once out and cleaned with wire wool and oil the push in and out easily

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

By the way to all and sundry any advice I give is without warranty of any sort , I know how litigious you Yanks can be ! :D

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

Oh ! and when you replace the bearings allow some play so the governor moves a few thou , too tight and you'll cause problems again !

dilhermandodidi
Victor O
Personal Text: Life is wonderful.

Post by dilhermandodidi »

soundgen wrote:Oh ! and when you replace the bearings allow some play so the governor moves a few thou , too tight and you'll cause problems again !
Thank you so much! :D I I tried and got it! Now I can play at "78rpm"! ;)

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

No problem ! Happy to help anyone with UK gramophone problems , I started in 1975 and was lucky to know people who worked at Hayes ! so had 1st hand advise , even I though should have asked more questions of old time restorers but didn't !