Picnics, what are your opinions please

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Vintage Rosie
Victor Jr

Picnics, what are your opinions please

Post by Vintage Rosie »

Good evening everyone, well, the HMV 102 I recently bought from Ebay is still languishing in my servants quarters until I can find someone to sort it out for me (any peeps know anyone???????) and I have been thinking about a Columbia grafanola, I already have a Columbia 112A which is O.K. ish but still think that could probably do with a service too. I would really like to end up with a couple of machines able to play well at small outdoor events and in small halls etc, As I have had interested from some brides to be and activity organisers from a couple of local nursing homes. So please help me sort out what would be my best options. Ta very much!!
Vintage Rosie :D

Phono48
Victor IV

Re: Picnics, what are your opinions please

Post by Phono48 »

I would be more than happy to service both machines for you, free of charge, unless anything needs replacing. I'm near Peterborough, so if you fancy a trip out one day send me a PM. I do have the lid stay that's missing, at least!

Barry

2Bdecided
Victor I

Post by 2Bdecided »

Rosie,

You already have two of the best portables ever made.

http://myvintagetv.com/updatepages1/cha ... tables.htm

There are some very loud Gilbert portable gramophones out there. They're much harder to find, but not especially valuable. Not all Gilbert portables are loud, but those that are would be good for events.

HMV 101s are rather good too. You might want to select your next machine on colour, rather than sound. You want to look good! Some customers might want you to match their colour scheme!

Some people hiring you might be expecting a horn gramophone. Please don't shoot me for saying this, but a crappophone will probably do. It'll look the part, cost little, and not bring you to tears if it gets damaged. You probably won't play it much because they usually sound awful.

Have you seen this lot?
http://vimeo.com/70770091
They amplify their gramophones electrically (they actually use electrical pickups) and aren't afraid to get the party started themselves!

Hope this helps.

David.

Vintage Rosie
Victor Jr

Post by Vintage Rosie »

Thanks for the replies guys!! I will certainly take you up on your kind offer Barry If we get the chance to drive up there soon, but I certainly wouldn't expect you to service them for nowt!! I will pm you when I have an idea of when we could make it and see if it is a good time for you!! Re the Shellac sisters yes I've heard good things about them, they have played at some very prestigious events. I think it's great that lots of younger people are re discovering the music and fashion that their grandparents enjoyed, I do think that in times of austerity people do tend to look back, hence the ever growing "vintage" market. (which is great for me as my entire business is vintage orientated). ;)

Vintage Rosie
Victor Jr

Post by Vintage Rosie »

Haha! Soundgen I have read the article on DJ78, I like the cut of his jib!! Very interesting guy, I have had a sniff around the shellac collective on the web, as he and the shellac sisters are members, just dipping my toe in the water, let's see what happens, might make a complete arse of myself and never work in this town again!!!Hahahaha! Oh well back to the day job (jobbing gardener...Oh my back!!!)

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Aha! I'm a very minor member of the Shellac Collective - great bunch of people and very friendly, as befits the cultural territory... I've done a few gigs with them in London, and I plough my own furrow with the odd bit of 78 DJing hereabouts in Kent. Tremendous fun.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Here is my blue Alba 555 portable (since sold) in action at a classic car show last year. It was so loud that some people who heard it at a distance thought that the show organisers had got a live band in.

Loud tone needles and expendable records are best for outdoor playing.
Attachments
Thornfalcon 2012 005.JPG

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Here in the USA if I want an all round fine sounding portable for outdoor use I'd use my early 30's RCA 2 65 portable (approximately the US equivalent of the HMV 102)

If I want something a bit more quaint looking I use my VV 50 in a Mahogany case or my Decca "Trench" portable.

If I'm doing an outdoor affair with some formality (tea outdoor with tables and chairs) I use an HMV 109 - it plays electrics nicely but the case style is classic "victrola"

Of course I realize none of this is much help to you...