Value of an EMGinn Expert Junior

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
musicman
Victor Jr

Value of an EMGinn Expert Junior

Post by musicman »

Can anyone tell me the value of an EMGinn Expert Junior; the case and horn are in good shape.
The only problem is that the original electric motor was replaced by another motor.
The gramophone is playing very good and the original soundbox is also in good working order.
Thanks in advance for your help !
Last edited by musicman on Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Value of an EMGinn Expert Junior

Post by epigramophone »

At the SAS auction in October 2012 an Expert Junior (Lot 70) with a four spring soundbox and a later electric motor on a substitute motor board sold for £1900 plus 18% buyers premium. The sale catalogue may still be viewable at www.specialauctionservices.com.

It was not uncommon for EMG and Expert machines to be modified from spring to electric power, and vice versa, owing to the patchy availability of mains electricity in the UK before the introduction of the National Grid.

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

and it was probably bought by the "Trade " to sell on !

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

£3-3,500 approximately.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

I actually can't remember exactly, but I think I paid £2500 (or was it more? I must check) for my Junior which is excellent throughout, and has a matching record cabinet/stand, but was missing its correct soundbox at the time.

In terms of what it is, what it does and the pleasure it gives, worth every penny and vastly more, but it may have been approaching 'top dollar' price-wise - no regrets though! One of the best decisions I ever made.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

dd2u
Victor I

Post by dd2u »

Condition is everything of course but you may be interested in the following thread. It is mostly about Expert Minors but it also features a poor Expert Junior and a Valentine's Day disappointment...

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 12&t=11890

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

musicman wrote:Can anyone tell me the value of an EMGinn Expert Junior; the case and horn are in good shape.
The only problem is that the original electric motor was replaced by another motor.
The gramophone is playing very good and the original soundbox is also in good working order.
Thanks in advance for your help !
Please post pictures. It would be great to see some!

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Did I just imagine it or did you originally mention it had a Garrard Super Motor?. If so you won't find a better windup motor.
Yes please post some pictures.