European Gramophone Stands - Cabinets

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: European Gramophone Stands - Cabinets

Post by Jerry B. »

Here's Harvey advertising card:
Attachments
DSC01928.JPG
DSC01929.JPG

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Sorry folks for being late getting this posted. I don't have the technology and know how for computer stuff. Thanks to Jerry,I can get these items posted. I may find one of these cabinets in an antique or thrift store. Like I said in my previous post, a lot of European phonographs and accessories end up in Seattle from Canada. I hope the scans will help.
Harvey Kravitz

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Great thread! Thanks for the Czech scan... some more stands to look out for! Here is a scan showing Ripduf1's stand. Are you sure this wasn't in oak? It looks oak in the photo and i've never heard of one in mahogany... there's always a first... These are rarer than their black ebonised (on pine) equivalents and are early. The scan is taken from the French catalogues in 1903 and 1904. These stands with the large iron bracket were made defunct, almost as they were introduced, by the appearance of the tonearm. Probably most had their brackets removed prior to sale and were sold as stands for tonearm machines. The huge horn on a front mount arrangement like this just put too much sideways pressure on records.

Jamie... always on the lookout for stands!
Attachments
support.jpg

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Just would like to add a color pic of the stand now that we own one. Interesting to note the door opens the opposite way in the above cut drawing. Another unusual aspect of this stands construction....there is a thin wood panel held in place by eight wood screws on the bottom of this stand. When you remove this panel.....there is quite a void. This would make a great stash place... ;) :lol:. I wonder how many past owners of these use this space for just that...??. Yes, I did check inside ours and found.....dust.... :lol:.
100_3799.JPG

Andreas Gramophones
Victor I

Post by Andreas Gramophones »

Hello everyone, it seems these cases are rare and hard to find, I'm one of them, Zonophone cabinet with bronze and support, inside there are three compartments for storage of records, is in excellent condition, the horn is 54 inches, just missing the correct player, I use a generic model, a friend know about this piece?
Attachments
DSC01169.JPG

US PHONO
Victor II

Post by US PHONO »

Roaring20s wrote:
Here, the original base sits on a large ebonized pedestal with green moulded panels, suitably weighted to keep it upright. The wonderful ironwork arm is a reconstruction as virtually no original examples exist and holds a 48” horn.

Sadly, for all the effort that went into its construction, it failed to catch on. Introduced in 1903-4, The Gramophone Company’s London sales office had to report that it was ‘unable to dispose of’ the 22 in stock!

James.
I see in the HMV book it says: The Gramophone Company’s London sales office had to report in 1905 that it was ‘unable to dispose of’ the 12 in stock!

From the models I have seen, in the ebonized version, the panels - made of paper maché - are more gold than green, whereas in the unebonized version they could have once been greenish.

Suitably weighted means that there was a box in the base of the cabinet that the owner could fill with a suitable mass.

By 1904 the pedestals were also advertised without the concert bracket.
Last edited by US PHONO on Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

US PHONO
Victor II

Post by US PHONO »

gramophone78 wrote:Just would like to add a color pic of the stand now that we own one. Interesting to note the door opens the opposite way in the above cut drawing.
With your stand - not made for an extension arm, the drawer and cabinet door are on the same side and you have flowered panels on all 4 sides. On the model made for the extension arm, the drawer was at the back opposite to the arm, and the door to the record compartment was on the side. :-)

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

This is another interesting stand, the "Grand Opera" of 1903 with gramophone "Monarch De Luxe No. 15a." At that time the total price was about $210.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

US PHONO wrote:
gramophone78 wrote:Just would like to add a color pic of the stand now that we own one. Interesting to note the door opens the opposite way in the above cut drawing.
With your stand - not made for an extension arm, the drawer and cabinet door are on the same side and you have flowered panels on all 4 sides. On the model made for the extension arm, the drawer was at the back opposite to the arm, and the door to the record compartment was on the side. :-)
Thanks for the clarification. I am curious..other than Andreas newly listed stand.....does any other member know of another one of these with ornate bracket in private hands...??.

Although our stand clearly did not use this bracket, most seem to believe it was offered for use with the G&T Monarch Deluxe 15 (also known as the Melba). However, it seems that this stand was also used with the G&T Monarch Deluxe 14. Also another ebonized case. As shown in this photo. It has also been mentioned to me that these stands were made in Germany and then shipped accordingly.
G&T Monarch Deluxe 14 With Stand.jpg
G&T Monarch Deluxe 14 With Stand.jpg (30.98 KiB) Viewed 2372 times

US PHONO
Victor II

Post by US PHONO »

gramophone78 wrote: Thanks for the clarification. I am curious..other than Andreas newly listed stand.....does any other member know of another one of these with ornate bracket in private hands...??.

Although our stand clearly did not use this bracket, most seem to believe it was offered for use with the G&T Monarch Deluxe 15 (also known as the Melba). However, it seems that this stand was also used with the G&T Monarch Deluxe 14. Also another ebonized case. As shown in this photo. It has also been mentioned to me that these stands were made in Germany and then shipped accordingly.
There are about 5 stands that I have heard of in European collections.

The black stand was used for the 15a (with the gilt columns), as well as the ebonized model that has the art nouveau panels of a lady on its sides, as here. http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... f=2&t=2764