HMV 102 generic? What's this model?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
soundgen
Victor V

Re: HMV 102 generic? What's this model?

Post by soundgen »

Was there also an Odeon and Pathé versions of the 9000 ? I have seen Odeon and Pathé versions of many late HMV / Columbia portsbles and the late soundboxes with HMV / Columbia / Pathé / Odeon brass inserts where were they made for and sold , does anyone know ?

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

epigramophone wrote:
dilhermandodidi wrote:
estott wrote:At that point Columbia portables were nearly the same as HMV portables, so the confusion is understandable.
Thank you! I just now understanding the connection between Columbia and HMV.
In case you are not aware of their history, Columbia and HMV merged in 1931 to form EMI.

After that date their portables became increasingly similar, until there was little but the badging to distinguish them, a process known in the motor industry as "badge engineering".

From what I've seen some of the Columbia portables ended up being the cheaper line- sounding just as good but without the same fittings and finish.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Amended.
Last edited by epigramophone on Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

In the early post war period there were many shortages of raw materials in the UK, including chromium, so some cheaper portables were assembled with gold painted fittings, such as the HMV Model 88 and the companion Columbia 211.

At the higher end of the price range the Columbia 9000 was every bit as well finished as the HMV 102. With it's characteristic sound deflectors either side of the horn aperture and it's Garrard style turntable, it is said to have cost more to manufacture.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

The whole point of there being identical models with different trademarks was that "His Master's Voice" products could only be sold by appointed dealers, whereas "Columbias" could be bought by any retailer, through his wholesaler. Thus EMI were able to reap the profits from the Columbia machines, whilst retaining the exclusivity of the His Master's Voice trademark.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

soundgen wrote:Was there also an Odeon and Pathé versions of the 9000 ? I have seen Odeon and Pathé versions of many late HMV / Columbia portsbles and the late soundboxes with HMV / Columbia / Pathé / Odeon brass inserts where were they made for and sold , does anyone know ?
I take it nobody knows the answer to my questions above ?

saxymojo
Victor II

Post by saxymojo »

I have a Columbia 9000, in really gerat condition with the original instruction card and key, I think it is nicer than the 102, better features.

I like the needle cup design, the used needles are drop through a hole on the side of the needle cup, going into a used needle cup under it.