Trademark £300 !

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
gramophone78
Victor VI

Re: Trademark £300 !

Post by gramophone78 »

Steve wrote:
All you had to do was check the auction house archive to learn this lot sold for 3500 pounds plus premium. It is not a "trade-mark" in the true sense. In fact, it is a much later model of an "Improved" Berliner Gramophone. I should add that the machine came with 30+ records, carrying case, reproducer box and other extra's. These UK and European model's just don't command the high dollars the US model's do.
So £4200 isn't "high dollars" in your book? The reproducer looked reproduction to me or at least re-nickel-plated
No Steve I don't. Considering all the "extra's" that sold with the machine. For all we know there could be some $$$$ in the 35 records alone. A US model of the same date and in near mint condition would sell here from $5000-$7000. No case or records, nothing.
It's not a big secret to those who have been involved in this hobby for awhile to know US collectors want US machine's and will pay more for them.

Being a Canadian collector....the same can be said about our Berliner's. I personally like the Canadian models. They are really the same as the post 1899 US models. I say "post 1899" because, Berliner started up here in January 1900. All the components (except the wood parts) were made in the US and shipped up. Berliner had Bell (making wooden telephone's) make up the cases and arms. Using "box corners" just like they constructed their phone boxes.

BTW, the needle bar is broken on the reproducer of the UK Berliner....look at it carefully. I too think the reproducer is suspect.

Here is Canadian "Improved" Berliner #837 (1900) . With it's owners manual. They look good to me... :lol: :lol: :lol:.
1900 Berliner Improved Gramophone Canadian No.837 (1).JPG
1900 Berliner Improved Gramophone Canadian No.837 (2).JPG

mcgravy
Victor O

Post by mcgravy »

Nice machine gramophone78. Neat to have the original owners manual.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

epigramophone wrote:I would be the last person to criticise the auctioneers estimates. As reported in a previous thread, I had a very successful time there a few weeks ago :D .

A red leather HMV102 for £40, a blue one for £42 and an oak 130 for £28. In theory I might have added a Trade Mark for a bargain price, but this sale was better publicised and attracted a lot of interest.

I can't help wondering whether all these machines had come from the same source.
I was back in the saleroom this morning on other business. Clearing the former home of an elderly relative is an onerous task which most of us will be faced with at some time in our lives.

Inevitably the subject of THAT gramophone came up. Client confidentiality prevented the auctioneers from divulging the identity of the vendor or the purchaser, but I was told that "it had just walked in off the street, right on the closing date for entries to the sale".

So now you know. These things are still out there waiting to be discovered.

saxymojo
Victor II

Post by saxymojo »

Hi

This is mine, picked it up with the case and records. The piece of paper on top of the records is the inspection slip for the record box.

Marcel
Attachments
IMGP4073.JPG

mcgravy
Victor O

Post by mcgravy »

Nice set Marcel!

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

saxymojo wrote:Hi

This is mine, picked it up with the case and records. The piece of paper on top of the records is the inspection slip for the record box.

Marcel
I wish ..... !

johannes
Victor O

Post by johannes »

I purchased this. Thank you for the discussion