Re: Help & advice needed!

Post by soundgen »

some nice pictures of the machine on an earlier topic

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... f=2&t=7274

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

You culd also contact the Radio Museum at Dulwich they could probably help in finding the original Radio !

http://www.bvwtm.org.uk/tour/photos1.htm

phononut
Victor I
Personal Text: Music's Re-Creation is Mr. Edison's most sublime gift to mankind.

Post by phononut »

Hi There,
I am not completely knowledgeable on these early electric phonograph reproducers, but I do know early record players used crystal cartridges. One contributor to the low volume on your machine may be the fact that over the lifespan of this machine the crystal cartridge has deteriorated, and is no longer offering sufficient output to the amp. Good luck repairing the machine :)
Brad

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

I'm pretty sure the pickup/cartridge on this is magnetic. Maybe someone could verify?

gregbogantz
Victor II

Post by gregbogantz »

Yes, most of the early English and other euro electric gramophones used magnetic pickups. Crystal pickups were much more popular in the USA during this period of about mid 1930 up to WWII. I'm not sure that the continental euro machines ever used crystals. They developed a different piezo material around 1940 that was much more durable than the Rochelle salts crystals that were common in the USA. You are likely to find one of these early piezo pickups that is still operational. All of the post WWII euro piezo pickups that I have seen still work.
Collecting moss, radios and phonos in the mountains of WNC.