Your thoughts on this please.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Vintage Rosie
Victor Jr

Your thoughts on this please.

Post by Vintage Rosie »

As the title suggests I urgently require your thoughts on this, what do you think, useful for small parties with an electrical source? could I even get it pat tested to comply with council regs for events?????? Will it blow up????????
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HMV-Vintage-R ... em41763f81

I am much obliged to you all for any kind answers hahaha

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: Your thoughts on this please.

Post by Lucius1958 »

Couldn't help noticing one of the record titles:
"Westi la Giubby" by "Enrico ? (Italian)" :lol:

CptBob
Victor I
Personal Text: CptBob - that's my tandem name

Post by CptBob »

I've bought gramophones "in full working order" from Ebay vendors without a clue what that means. Whether it will work well enough to be of any use is a gamble. But, the machine looks a complete mess and without a lot of cosmetic work, it won't fit the bill looks wise for what you're intending. (You could of course transfer the turntable and arm to another cabinet - if they work). He mentions 40 replacement styli and there are needles in the holder. The record in the picture looks as if it's had plenty of play, probably with the same needle, so if the rest of the records are as good as that they won't be worth having either.

It all depends if you want a gamble and can be bothered with the hassle of picking it up.

Vintage Rosie
Victor Jr

Post by Vintage Rosie »

Ta Cpt Bob, on what you have said I think I will give it a miss, just keep on getting those local auctions see what they throw up eh?

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Personally, I wouldn't touch it. Surely this comes under the heading of a Frankenphone? Nothing whatsoever to recommend it. If you need a record player for outside events with an electricity supply, there are hundreds of decent 1960s record players out there which would suffice, and would pass a PAT test much more readily than this would!

Vintage Rosie
Victor Jr

Post by Vintage Rosie »

Thank you all, didn't bid on it, went out for a family meal instead, far better use of my time and my husbands money :D