Help with identifying an HMV machine - real?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Help with identifying an HMV machine - real?

Post by brianu »

I recently picked up this portable HMV. I'm not very familiar with the various models from that line, so I was hoping for some help in verifying it as real - at least, I hope it's real - and identifying it. It has a 5A reproducer and the data plate indicates model 118 (and includes English, French and German script). I can't quite tell what the finish is, but it does appear to have an overcoat of something I also can't identify. Any help or suggestions would really be most appreciated. And I apologize for the photo quality, I snapped them somewhat hastily last night with my camera phone - I can get some better ones if necessary. Thanks.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

beaumonde
Victor III

Re: Help with identifying an HMV machine - real?

Post by beaumonde »

Brian, it is real, and somewhat rare. It was one of the "tropical" models made for the south Asian (Indian) market. Dave Cooper's book "The Perfect Portable Gramophone" HMV portables mentions that the model 118 was made from 1936-41, and was unusual as the large case opened lengthwise (the otherwise similar 114 opened at the front). It had a 10" turntable, double spring motor, auto-brake, and a 5B soundbox. Yours was probably replaced with the earlier 5A at some point. The cabinet was described as highly polished with black embossed lines; I'm not sure about the finish on yours--I only have the reproduced catalog pic in the Cooper book to go by, but yours might be the original finish with the black embossed lines worn down.

Perhaps someone else here has seen one in the proverbial flesh?
Adam

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The 5a soundbox on your 118 looks like nickel, whereas the rest of the plated fittings look like chrome, so it does appear to be a replacement. That dark gloopy varnish is typically Indian and is almost certainly original.

Most of the Indian machines which turn up in the UK were brought back by their British owners at the end of their Colonial service, but to find one in the USA must be rare indeed. It would be interesting to know it's history.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Yes it's a genuine 118 and rarer than hen's teeth, as others have already identified. Without seeing it in the flesh it is impossible to say definitely BUT I have the 112, 113 and 114 models in my collection, all in excellent original condition, and the finish on your 118 looks absolutely nothing like any original Indian finish I've seen to date. Looking at it, and being aware that the ebonised bandings are missing, I would say from the pictures that it has been refinished on the outside of the cabinet. It should have a HIGH GLOSS pigmented lacquer on the case with those black bands. My 114 is so shiney that you can use it as a mirror. These cabinets didn't have that muddy syrupy finish that sometimes turns up on "refinished" items. It should be very clear so you can easily see the grain patterns and yet a dark rich reddish brown with it.

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

These gramophones were only portable when you didn't have to carry it yourself ! I guess the butler struggled with it , why weren't portables made in the UK with the 32 motor ? or were they ?

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

thank you for the responses and suggestions. that's true, then, that this model really wasn't produced until the late 30's? were these made in england or in one of those areas in southeast asia where they were mainly distributed? and might anyone know how many of these were made in total?

steve, is there any way you might recommend to replicate the correct finish (if I were to strip the entire exterior and then redo it)? or would it be best to leave it as is? could you possibly post or send me a photo of yours?

and I also apologize to those whom I may have offended by initially posting this in the "machines" section as opposed to the "uk machines" section (what is now "british and european machines")... I appreciate your diligence in identifying this egregious error and having it so promptly corrected.

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

brianu wrote:thank you for the responses and suggestions. that's true, then, that this model really wasn't produced until the late 30's? were these made in england or in one of those areas in southeast asia where they were mainly distributed? and might anyone know how many of these were made in total?

steve, is there any way you might recommend to replicate the correct finish (if I were to strip the entire exterior and then redo it)? or would it be best to leave it as is? could you possibly post or send me a photo of yours?

and I also apologize to those whom I may have offended by initially posting this in the "machines" section as opposed to the "uk machines" section (what is now "british and european machines")... I appreciate your diligence in identifying this egregious error and having it so promptly corrected.
Personally I would leave it as it is it doesn't need restoration , it has history . it looks good as it is and if you could find an original image to display with it that would enhance it's historical changes , even the soundbox has been changed for a reason . it's 80 years old and probaly been loved a lot !

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

brianu wrote:thank you for the responses and suggestions. that's true, then, that this model really wasn't produced until the late 30's? were these made in england or in one of those areas in southeast asia where they were mainly distributed? and might anyone know how many of these were made in total?

It is likely that the machine was manufactured in HMV's Calcutta factory, which was opened in December 1908. The British Raj in India was a lucrative market.

Long after acoustic spring wound machines became obsolete in the UK and other developed countries, they remained in demand in parts of the world where the availability of mains electricity was patchy or non-existent.