The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: EMG Conversions
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:10 am 
Offline
Victor III
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 970
Wonderfull !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: EMG Conversions
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:34 am 
Offline
Victor I
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:49 pm
Posts: 141
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Orchorsol, that's interesting because I've seen a very similar Orchorsol (square instead of rounded sides on the top though) in original condition. It's a nice machine but I'm guessing yours sounds a little better ;)

Cheers,
David.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: EMG Conversions
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:11 am 
Offline
Victor III
User avatar
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:03 am
Posts: 574
Location: near Utopia, UK
2Bdecided wrote:
Orchorsol, that's interesting because I've seen a very similar Orchorsol (square instead of rounded sides on the top though) in original condition. It's a nice machine but I'm guessing yours sounds a little better ;)

Cheers,
David.


I have an example of the original too, unmodified! Yes, a nice machine in its way, and it's interesting that years before (in the early days of EMG) Orchorsol had beaten EMG in a Gramophone magazine competition. The Orchorsol sounds very open and lifelike but has almost no bass compared to EMGs and Experts.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: EMG Conversions
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:38 pm 
Offline
Victor IV
His epigrams are all his own, the man's an epigramophone!
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:21 pm
Posts: 1780
Location: UK
Your Orchosol/EMG is a very neat conversion of an uncommon machine.

Supplied by Selfridges, and with an electric motor, it would have been quite expensive when new. That the owner went to the expense of having it converted by EMG shows how highly they must have thought of it.

Not many Orchosols turn up these days, and those which do are almost always portables.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: EMG Conversions
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:47 pm 
Offline
Victor III
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 970
Orchorsol wrote:
2Bdecided wrote:
Orchorsol, that's interesting because I've seen a very similar Orchorsol (square instead of rounded sides on the top though) in original condition. It's a nice machine but I'm guessing yours sounds a little better ;)

Cheers,
David.


I have an example of the original too, unmodified! Yes, a nice machine in its way, and it's interesting that years before (in the early days of EMG) Orchorsol had beaten EMG in a Gramophone magazine competition. The Orchorsol sounds very open and lifelike but has almost no bass compared to EMGs and Experts.


Can we see some pictures please !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: EMG Conversions
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:05 pm 
Offline
Victor III
User avatar
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:03 am
Posts: 574
Location: near Utopia, UK
soundgen wrote:
Orchorsol wrote:
2Bdecided wrote:
Orchorsol, that's interesting because I've seen a very similar Orchorsol (square instead of rounded sides on the top though) in original condition. It's a nice machine but I'm guessing yours sounds a little better ;)

Cheers,
David.


I have an example of the original too, unmodified! Yes, a nice machine in its way, and it's interesting that years before (in the early days of EMG) Orchorsol had beaten EMG in a Gramophone magazine competition. The Orchorsol sounds very open and lifelike but has almost no bass compared to EMGs and Experts.


Can we see some pictures please !

I'll have to take some more of the whole machine - very rushed at present! I only have a few detail photos of the internal horn and the unusual wooden tonearm.


Attachments:
IMG_2208.JPG
IMG_2208.JPG [ 537.4 KiB | Viewed 653 times ]
IMG_2207.JPG
IMG_2207.JPG [ 399.65 KiB | Viewed 653 times ]
IMG_2214.JPG
IMG_2214.JPG [ 570.12 KiB | Viewed 653 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: EMG Conversions
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:45 pm 
Offline
Victor II
User avatar
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:57 am
Posts: 489
Location: Hampshire, England.
Here are photos showing two types of Wilson horn spigots. The second photo shows two Mk VIII base units---the older non-flange/collar example behind. Note the difference of angle---the earlier models more closely approached a right angle. Presumably the idea of the flange/collar was to afford a larger surface bearing area both for structure/longevity and for air-tight sealing---click on the photo to enlarge. The later horn is noticeably heavier.


Attachments:
DSC09667.JPG
DSC09667.JPG [ 3.77 MiB | Viewed 606 times ]
IMG_0852.JPG
IMG_0852.JPG [ 3.02 MiB | Viewed 606 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: EMG Conversions
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:13 pm 
Offline
Victor II
User avatar
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:57 am
Posts: 489
Location: Hampshire, England.
Two more examples of MK VIII units with early Wilson horns.


Attachments:
f_l37o_2f7_u8zvx.jpg
f_l37o_2f7_u8zvx.jpg [ 184.63 KiB | Viewed 601 times ]
f_m1u2_a75_u8zvx.jpg
f_m1u2_a75_u8zvx.jpg [ 222.16 KiB | Viewed 601 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: EMG Conversions
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:34 am 
Offline
Victor II
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:17 am
Posts: 299
What a fantastic picture of the Wilson horns in front of the organ. Very informative too, as I said earlier I have not seen, in person a Wilson horn with the collar.
For me, there is something very magical about any gramophone with a Wilson horn.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: EMG Conversions
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:14 pm 
Offline
Victor II
User avatar
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:57 am
Posts: 489
Location: Hampshire, England.
Here are the two horn types contrasted. Shorter spigot on the right came first and was rather poorly designed. The version on the left came later and embodied the longer removable spigot (bronze) seen as a part of all subsequent EMGs until acoustic production ceased.

Early: Angled length 46 ¼”. Final mouth diameter 24 ½”+ (slightly oval).

Later: Angled length 46”. Final mouth diameter 23 ¾”. (Fully circular).

“Angled length” has been taken with a straight steel rule from the outside of the largest diameter, with the horn standing vertically on the ground, to the centre of the spigot inlet.


Attachments:
DSC03557.JPG
DSC03557.JPG [ 5.41 MiB | Viewed 168 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.