Victor V

Re: EMG Conversions

Post by soundgen »

Wonderfull !

2Bdecided
Victor I

Post by 2Bdecided »

Orchorsol, that's interesting because I've seen a very similar Orchorsol (square instead of rounded sides on the top though) in original condition. It's a nice machine but I'm guessing yours sounds a little better ;)

Cheers,
David.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

2Bdecided wrote:Orchorsol, that's interesting because I've seen a very similar Orchorsol (square instead of rounded sides on the top though) in original condition. It's a nice machine but I'm guessing yours sounds a little better ;)

Cheers,
David.
I have an example of the original too, unmodified! Yes, a nice machine in its way, and it's interesting that years before (in the early days of EMG) Orchorsol had beaten EMG in a Gramophone magazine competition. The Orchorsol sounds very open and lifelike but has almost no bass compared to EMGs and Experts.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Your Orchosol/EMG is a very neat conversion of an uncommon machine.

Supplied by Selfridges, and with an electric motor, it would have been quite expensive when new. That the owner went to the expense of having it converted by EMG shows how highly they must have thought of it.

Not many Orchosols turn up these days, and those which do are almost always portables.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Orchorsol wrote:
2Bdecided wrote:Orchorsol, that's interesting because I've seen a very similar Orchorsol (square instead of rounded sides on the top though) in original condition. It's a nice machine but I'm guessing yours sounds a little better ;)

Cheers,
David.
I have an example of the original too, unmodified! Yes, a nice machine in its way, and it's interesting that years before (in the early days of EMG) Orchorsol had beaten EMG in a Gramophone magazine competition. The Orchorsol sounds very open and lifelike but has almost no bass compared to EMGs and Experts.
Can we see some pictures please !

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

soundgen wrote:
Orchorsol wrote:

Cheers,
David.
Can we see some pictures please !
I'll have to take some more of the whole machine - very rushed at present! I only have a few detail photos of the internal horn and the unusual wooden tonearm.
Attachments
IMG_2208.JPG
IMG_2207.JPG
IMG_2214.JPG
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Here are photos showing two types of Wilson horn spigots. The second photo shows two Mk VIII base units---the older non-flange/collar example behind. Note the difference of angle---the earlier models more closely approached a right angle. Presumably the idea of the flange/collar was to afford a larger surface bearing area both for structure/longevity and for air-tight sealing---click on the photo to enlarge. The later horn is noticeably heavier.
Attachments
DSC09667.JPG
IMG_0852.JPG

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Two more examples of MK VIII units with early Wilson horns.
Attachments
f_l37o_2f7_u8zvx.jpg
f_m1u2_a75_u8zvx.jpg

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

What a fantastic picture of the Wilson horns in front of the organ. Very informative too, as I said earlier I have not seen, in person a Wilson horn with the collar.
For me, there is something very magical about any gramophone with a Wilson horn.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Here are the two horn types contrasted. Shorter spigot on the right came first and was rather poorly designed. The version on the left came later and embodied the longer removable spigot (bronze) seen as a part of all subsequent EMGs until acoustic production ceased.

Early: Angled length 46 ¼”. Final mouth diameter 24 ½”+ (slightly oval).

Later: Angled length 46”. Final mouth diameter 23 ¾”. (Fully circular).

“Angled length” has been taken with a straight steel rule from the outside of the largest diameter, with the horn standing vertically on the ground, to the centre of the spigot inlet.
Attachments
DSC03557.JPG