Columbia Grafanola 109A.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Egg_Chaser
Victor Jr

Columbia Grafanola 109A.

Post by Egg_Chaser »

Picked one of these up in seemingly reasonable condition this morning at a local market. Trader has had it as long as I've been going to that market, priced just the wrong side of what I willing to pay, noticed he'd changed the tag today to something I would pay so... It came home with me.

A few cosmetic blemishes but the mechanicals seem fine, save for the speed adjuster and the brake, neither of which seem to work properly, I'm hoping adjustment is all they require.

Can anyone suggest a good replacement material for the "pad" on the brake? And is there anything specific to this model I should know/watch for while cleaning it up?

soundgen
Victor V

Re: Columbia Grafanola 109A.

Post by soundgen »

Egg_Chaser wrote: Can anyone suggest a good replacement material for the "pad" on the brake? And is there anything specific to this model I should know/watch for while cleaning it up?
I always keep old worn out shoes in my workshop , you can cut bits of leather and rubber off them to use as pads washers and all sorts things on gramophones !

Egg_Chaser
Victor Jr

Post by Egg_Chaser »

Thanks, The local charity shop might need a visit.

Have done something a bit stupid. Was taking out the horn and not watching what I was doing, result is I have two washers in the case and don't know where they're supposed to be. One's fibre, one's rubber there are no others. Any suggestions as to the fitting? The rubber one is quite perished and will probably need replaced.
Attachments
wash.jpg
wash.jpg (88.66 KiB) Viewed 1645 times

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

The two washers look like they belong between the motor and the motor board. The originals would have been the fibre ones, and the rubber a later replacement. Maybe new ones have been fitted and these were left in the case?
For replacement brake leathers I bought a leather sewing machine belt from Ebay. Very cheap, requires no trimming to fit, and about a yard long, so should last me out!

Barry