Is this a Parlophon? Help needed with ID

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
snallast
Victor II

Is this a Parlophon? Help needed with ID

Post by snallast »

Recently bought this gramophone, I liked the proportions and it's in fairly good condition. I first assumed it is a Parlophone from the soundbox, but looking closer at the white trade mark, or what's left of it, it does'nt really look like Parlophone's symbol?
Does anyone recognize this trademark from what little is now there?

Most of the machine looks like it belongs together, motor, holes, crank, horn etc.

The needle lands up too far fron the center of the record which may mean it's the wrong reproducer? Or maybe this brand just did'nt care?

What to do? :shock:

Håkan
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

soundgen
Victor VI

Re: Is this a Parlophon? Help needed with ID

Post by soundgen »

No . not sure what though

US PHONO
Victor II

Post by US PHONO »

The tradenark is a T with a bird flying through it. On your pic you can just see the bottom of the T. I'll make a photo of one. Not sure what the company is. Thorens it is not as they had an anchor inside a cross.

US PHONO
Victor II

Post by US PHONO »

Hi Hakan, I was going to guess Triumphon yesterday but was not 100% sure. I checked and your machine is a Triumphon. The company was based in Berlin.

I thought the pic below is better than just a picture of the Ivorine plaque as you can see the relationship to the company. Its the logo on the Left;T with bird.

I see they hedged their bets and also used a T with a dragon?

Hope this helps
Attachments
trium.jpg
trium.jpg (204.72 KiB) Viewed 2906 times

snallast
Victor II

Post by snallast »

Yes you're absolutely right! Now I can just make out part of the wing and tail feathers! Well I guess chances are'nt too fat of finding the right soundbox for this machine as it probably was a small company, I've never come across it before ever! But then I think people changed soundboxes pretty freely even back when. But I will have a look around / maybe Germany ebay is the place to start. Maybe they have a german forum who knows.

Thanks so much! This forum is so great! I get help everywhere and people are so generous, sharing parts, very valuable advice and knowledge.
Hakan

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

The German forum is at http://grammophon-platten.de/. Several members are members of this forum as well. If there is more information about Triumphon available you should be able to get it there.
Good luck
Andreas

US PHONO
Victor II

Post by US PHONO »

This is a later version of the Triumphon trademark off a partable suitcase gramophone.
Attachments
tp1.jpg
tp1.jpg (69.64 KiB) Viewed 2846 times

snallast
Victor II

Post by snallast »

I'm gonna apply for membership *as my uncle said about facebook* in the german forum, see what happens, luckily I speak german too. I'll get back with the story if there's any luck there.

This gramophone is huge and LOUD so I've discovered that because of the angle of the soundbox, if I use fiber needles they get sharpened along the way and you can play like 10 records without changing!
Thanks again!!

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

It looks beautiful, but with that tracking angle it will KILL records, especially with a steel needle.

snallast
Victor II

Post by snallast »

Yes exactly! I played a few but when I saw all the black dust afterwards I realized it's a record-to-dust-converter, that's why I want to see if I can find an original soundbox / maybe it would change the tracking angle. Can't think of any other way to do it