Info sheet for public

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Vintage Rosie
Victor Jr

Info sheet for public

Post by Vintage Rosie »

Not sure where to put this but I have just had a lightbulb moment, Next week I shall be playing my 78's at a local Museum,in the grounds where they hold a Farmers market, it is very well known for having a fine collection of musical instruments and is very popular. I thought maybe I could print off a simple info sheet, suitable for children and adults giving the potted history of gramophones, and just snippets of info, like a bit about Nipper the HMV dog, just to show people that I am interested in future generatiopns learning about this really important part of history, firstly what do you all think? Should I just go enjoy playing some records and promoting my business or should I go with this idea? I think the Museum Directors would like it, as they had stipulated NO MUSIC during these markets and have only let me in because of the novelty of having the historic element. If you think it would be nice, could anyone help me to start it off by giving me some basic info here. I would be most grateful.

TTFN

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Re: Info sheet for public

Post by Orchorsol »

I'm regularly 78 DJing in public, often with acoustic gramophones at antiques fairs. I have brief information sheets, just a few short paragraphs about each of the machines I'm using; no more than that, because I find people rarely read them!

Much more fun and much more effective is having conversations. Lots of people stop to talk. One of the machines I use is a Frankenphone with a large external horn and back bracket grafted onto the cabinet of an early internal horn machine - this means I can show the motor running by opening the [redundant] doors. Children and adults alike are amazed to see the governer whirling round, even more so when I demonstrate how it works. It's the ideal machine for frequent events because it looks the part and sounds great, but wear and tear and the risk of damage are no big deal.

Showing people the soundbox, explaining it and then trailing it on an expendable record by hand - and continuing to do so whilst uniting it with the arm tube - also wows them.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?