Ernst.
Attachments
kaf_1.jpg
kaf_1.jpg (36.45 KiB) Viewed 2366 times

soundgen
Victor V

Re: Unknown machine.

Post by soundgen »

Original probably German , they liked these exotic horns ! Are there any marks on the soundbox or more importantly the motor ?

78monarch
Victor Jr

Post by 78monarch »

The soundbox is a Exposition, a copy of Exhibition I think. The motor looks like to be homemade.
Attachments
DSC09950.JPG

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Not homemade , motor looks very early like some Columbias and and Exposition again points to Germany

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I have a very similar machine with the same identical (brass) horn. According to the soundbox on my example the machine is a Symphonium (it is pictured on the cover of one of the recent "For The Record" magazines - anyone know which issue?) although it does have a very different motor to your example, most notably the motor is mounted on the bottom of the cabinet like some middle period Pathé machines. The back-bracket is also strange in so much as it is fixed to the cabinet under the hinged top cover/lid (not motor-board on this example) by way of a block of timber inside the cabinet. The lower part of the bracket is simply a flat metal strap which is screwed down into the timber block. From memory the soundbox is a "Universal" swivel type capable of playing both lateral and vertical discs.

I reckon there were various German "makers" who produced similar style machines with the same horn over a period of time before the Great War.

So as Soundgen has already said, it is definitely a pucker German machine from the 1909-1914 period.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Issue No.46, Summer 2013.

78monarch
Victor Jr

Post by 78monarch »

I said wrong, the soundbox is not Exposition. The soundbox is similar to Exhibition, but with no name.
Attachments
unknown_5.jpg