Wilson Horns

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
redgem3
Victor Jr

Wilson Horns

Post by redgem3 »

I wonder if anyone can help? I'm in the process of making a papier mache horn and would like it if possible to be compatible with EMG/HMV. So can anyone tell me the external diameter of the small end of an emg horn (I.e. that which fits into the socket on the machine)

Many thanks in anticipation!

Richard
Attachments
image.jpg

emgcr
Victor IV

Re: Wilson Horns

Post by emgcr »

Hello Richard,

I have attached a drawing of the co-ordinates you will need if you desire to make a completely correct EMG horn spigot. The material should be bronze which is necessary for a much heavier EMG horn---brass is too brittle. It is hard to tell the scale from your photo but might your existing inlet already be too small---you may have to add a sleeve ? For the best sound it is desirable to contrive a seamlessly expanding internal diameter. The rate of taper of the EMG item is consistent with the exponential expansion of the whole acoustic delivery system but is not hugely critical at this diameter.

Click on the photo for a more detailed view.

Good luck with this interesting project. Please let us know what you think of the sound.
Attachments
DSC09786.JPG
DSC06050.JPG

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

The simple answer is, it's exactly the same size as a Victor back-bracket for a drop-in type elbow ie. Victor schoolhouse Model. In Britain, the HMV import of the Victor Schoolhouse was used by Percy Wilson as a "typical" arrangement for his design to be used in conjunction with.

redgem3
Victor Jr

Post by redgem3 »

Very many thanks indeed for your help with this - a wonderfully detailed reply from Graham I suspect you are right about the size of the existing inlet. This horn is made to a tractrix profile - I made a plaster core following the instructions on the Inlow Sounds website, then applied alternating layers of torn lining paper and newspaper with watered down PVA (white glue) about 12 or 13 in all, with the occasional thin skim of dry lining plaster(hot mud) around the bell. To try it out, I attached it (in a rough and ready way with sticky tape etc) an old horn gramophone and used an HMV 5a soundbox.

In terms of sound, I was amazed by the amount of additional 'detail' that I seem to be getting as compared with my HMV163, but it seemed better with certain types of music, especially late 20s to mid 30s jazz and it almost felt like Louis Armstrong was in the room! By contrast, some records seemed a little shrill, but what it does do very effectively is eliminate the 'blast' you sometimes get on particularly loud passges. So having broken all the rules with this one (I.e. not preserving he correct taper through horn and tone arm and using a plastic elbow at the inlet) it makes me realise just how good an EMG and Expert must sound.

I may have a go at an exponential horn next - althought I won't be able to go as far as having castings made for the lower end of the horn or for the internal conduit. Instead I thought I could perhaps try making a former of the correct taper and curve, applying a few layers of papier mache, then cutting them off the former, rejoining them, the applying more layers of papier mache and some hidden layers of fibreglass for strength. I'll let the forum know if I get this far! Whilst of course it would be wonderful to make these parts out of metal, that is not really a DIY option for me!

Thanks again for help.

Richard

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Just a thought - a simple, and I imagine highly effective, alternative to inner layers of fibreglass within the papier applique structure might be to use "Terram" geotextile fabric.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?