Identification Of Edison Bell Credenza Model

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Every1sPal
Victor Jr

Identification Of Edison Bell Credenza Model

Post by Every1sPal »

I've had this credenza unit for 20 years, and I've always wondered whether it was an official Edison Bell model (as the Soundbox is an 'Edison Bell Electrotone') or a makeshift box somebody built themselves. I say this because the hole in the middle of the right door doesn't line up with the horn: the lower half of the horn is aimed through the hole, but the upper half is obscured by the door. But perhaps this was intentional...maybe the door is meant to be a partial mute?

When I got the machine the wood was a very light colour with all kinds of marks and stains on it, and the veneer on the top of it was cracking anyway, so I made it presentable by staining all of the wood a dark mahogany. Besides the inscription on the soundbox there are no other discernible markings anywhere on the machine that would indicate a manufacturer or model number.

Any ideas as to what this baby could be?

mf77
Victor O

Re: Identification Of Edison Bell Credenza Model

Post by mf77 »

I think you'll find it's been made up by somebody, probably from an old sideboard or some other storage cupboard.
I've never seen a machine that you were able to view the turntable & motor area directly through the front once the door was opened or the grill was removed.
Also note that the fretwork in the door does not line up with the opening of the horn.
Edison Bell (nor any other respectable company) would never have produced a cabinet where the door covered 80%of the horn. They would have at least had the fretwork in the door, in line with the horn opening.
The metal horn would also have been mounted to a face board to prevent movement & vibration.
Keepin' it real.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Identification Of Edison Bell Credenza Model

Post by epigramophone »

Edison Bell did use what they described as a "Saxophonic" horn in some of their late 1920's cabinet models, but I agree that this installation looks like the work of an amateur.