Two sound reproducers, very different weights

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
windup
Victor Jr

Two sound reproducers, very different weights

Post by windup »

Just wondering on the significance of the very different weights of 2 sound reproducers that I have. One weighs 106 grams, the other, 150 grams, about nearly 50% more. Both use the same size aluminium diaphragm.

I am thinking of mainly using the lighter one, because it should be a little kinder to the records.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Re: Two sound reproducers, very different weights

Post by gramophone78 »

windup wrote:Just wondering on the significance of the very different weights of 2 sound reproducers that I have. One weighs 106 grams, the other, 150 grams, about nearly 50% more. Both use the same size aluminium diaphragm.

I am thinking of mainly using the lighter one, because it should be a little kinder to the records.
Without knowing what the reproducers in question even are....how can anyone answer this??. It is always best to post pics when seeking answers. Hope this helps... ;).

windup
Victor Jr

Post by windup »

gramophone78 wrote:
windup wrote:Just wondering on the significance of the very different weights of 2 sound reproducers that I have. One weighs 106 grams, the other, 150 grams, about nearly 50% more. Both use the same size aluminium diaphragm.

Without knowing what the reproducers in question even are....how can anyone answer this??. It is always best to post pics when seeking answers. Hope this helps... ;).
I meant it to be a general question. I am new to gramophones and didn't realise they came in different weights. Using Google, I found an Indian website that sells modern copies, and seems to offer them in different weights, so I wondered why.

However, one is a Goldring, the other looks like a goldring but is unbranded. I happen to have a pic of one of them here.

and another user posted a pic that is identical to the heavy one. Hope they don't mind me linking to it again.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

There are more reproducers than there are machines.... :lol: :lol: . However, because this is a UK product.....we have a section for "UK & European" items. This section is for mainly North American related items.

windup
Victor Jr

Post by windup »

gramophone78 wrote:There are more reproducers than there are machines.... :lol: :lol: . However, because this is a UK product.....we have a section for "UK & European" items. This section is for mainly North American related items.
So, are all your American reproducers the same weight?

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

windup wrote:
gramophone78 wrote:There are more reproducers than there are machines.... :lol: :lol: . However, because this is a UK product.....we have a section for "UK & European" items. This section is for mainly North American related items.
Being such a broad question. The best way to answer this is.....every type of reproducer will have it's own weight and it's own characteristics. Every company will have "their" own idea of what the correct weight should be. No real set standard. This applies to lateral disc reproducers & manufactures (your examples). Cylinder model reproducers will also vary.

windup
Victor Jr

Post by windup »

gramophone78 wrote:
windup wrote:
Being such a broad question. The best way to answer this is.....every type of reproducer will have it's own weight and it's own characteristics. Every company will have "their" own idea of what the correct weight should be. No real set standard. This applies to lateral disc reproducers & manufactures (your examples). Cylinder model reproducers will also vary.
I see. Thank you, that does indeed answer my question. I did suspect that there would be no standardisation.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Your most welcome. I should add and although I do not own,nor have I heard a Goldring reproducer.....I have read in the "UK" section they are a good sounding unit. I'm sure our UK collectors can give you better opinions on this make.