Pathé no 8

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Antiques RSA
Victor Jr

Re: Pathé no 8

Post by Antiques RSA »

Thank you for the advice. Perhaps I will come across something completely original although
they are very scarce in my part of the world in any condition. It will still make a nice
conversation piece and I am enjoying the restoration.

Torjazzer
Victor II

Post by Torjazzer »

Unfortunately some people like to throw around words like "worth", "value" as they are speaking to a used car dealer. You have a good base and the non-original parts notwithstanding, you will have a lot of fun and challenges hunting down the pieces you need. Take your time but those things are not impossible to find. Take the positive advice and ignore the dismissive reactions. It's your journey, enjoy the ride. :D

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

ignore the dismissive reactions
Presumably this is a dig at me for being honest with the original poster and telling him what no one else had at this point, namely that he has a Frankenphone with few good usable parts? The cabinet is ok if you discount the additional winding hole and cut-down speed control dial, but there is no point in spending a lot of money or your lifetime attempting to right this machine. It is uneconomic madness. By all means "enjoy" it as it is but if you really want a decent machine that you're going to put any money into (this machine was FREE after all ;) ), don't waste your money on this, just find an original machine instead.

So forgive me if I'm inclined to throw your advice back at you and state to the OP that they should ignore you instead! :lol:

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

Steve wrote:
ignore the dismissive reactions
Presumably this is a dig at me for being honest with the original poster and telling him what no one else had at this point, namely that he has a Frankenphone with few good usable parts? The cabinet is ok if you discount the additional winding hole and cut-down speed control dial, but there is no point in spending a lot of money or your lifetime attempting to right this machine. It is uneconomic madness. By all means "enjoy" it as it is but if you really want a decent machine that you're going to put any money into (this machine was FREE after all ;) ), don't waste your money on this, just find an original machine instead.

So forgive me if I'm inclined to throw your advice back at you and state to the OP that they should ignore you instead! :lol:
As Steve says enjoy it , if somone is happy with what they have bought what is the problem ? So long as they know the truth when they buy it and don't pretend it is otherwise when they sell !