Bassanophone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: Bassanophone

Post by Steve »

I find it curious that it was stuck at £27 for 4 days previously with the highest bidder's bid of £100 being bid against using eBay proxy bid system, and yet now within less than 12 hours of it being re-listed with start of £300, it already has a bid!

Can the description of it as "Bassanophone" have really made that much difference? If so, may this be a warning to potentially lazy eBay sellers. Do the research FIRST and then sell. List items properly and you'll get much more of a return.

Maybe George Henry Bassano is finally getting the credit and recognition he so deserves? Ellis Michael Ginn's products have been rated very highly for years, even early examples, although it is arguably the case that only the later period (1930-1935) machines were ever significantly better than the competition.

GHB's equipment simply melted the competition by comparison. And it's British!
Last edited by Steve on Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

Before it was taken off an relisted I asked the seller for a picture of the top back and right hand side , he was going to send them but didn't and still doesn't seem to have put them on the new listing
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bassanophone- ... 61724c8a4

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

No, they are not especially enlightened "sellers" considering all the help they are obviously getting free of charge. You might have thought or expected something to click by now, but it obviously hasn't! I can't imagine ever stumbling upon something myself that was unusual and that I would be so unfamiliar with and then just dumping it on eBay without much thought or care into the presentation of the listing. I mean if you really want to sell the odd thing you are lucky enough to inherit, why not research it first and if it then appears to be rare and unusual, go out of your way to really show it off and present it at its best. I'm not talking about restoring it either. This is one thing our American friends do 1000% better than us Brits. Just look at so many US eBay listings for phonographs and you'll find lots of HIGH resolution pictures / supersized pictures etc even for some very ordinary machines.

Some decent photos wouldn't go amiss. Have they ever looked inside the "back door"? Oh wait a minute, you mean it has a hidden door? :lol:

It is impossible to miss this if you have taken a picture of this machine stood well away from the wall, which clearly it is. I'm stunned by the seller's lack of curiosity. If I had that machine I'd have to peek into the back of it. Who knows what the previous owner might have stored in there?! :o

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

There is something very very funny about this auction but I can't possibly spill the beans until it's all over! :lol:

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

Steve wrote:There is something very very funny about this auction but I can't possibly spill the beans until it's all over! :lol:
It sold so what was funny ! Spill the beans now !

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

A PM has been sent to you.