Golden melody ? Gramophone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
morgantheavenger
Victor I

Golden melody ? Gramophone

Post by morgantheavenger »

Don't know much about this company can't find out any information on them they look like nice functional machines but like I said don't know for sure. Could anyone help me find about this company? I seem this model for sale around my area I offered the person $100.00 for it I've seen a few if these machines online I do belive this company made a lot of orthophonic repropducers because the machines I saw have them all. Thanks let me know if you have any information on this company.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (60.77 KiB) Viewed 3524 times

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Golden melody ? Gramophone

Post by epigramophone »

Golden Melody was one of dozens of small British companies which assembled gramophones using bought in components during the 1920's and 1930's. The cabinets were usually of their own manufacture, and there were wide variations in quality from one make to another. The better ones may have double spring motors by Garrard and good soundboxes by Paillard or Thorens, possibly disguised by a front mask bearing the "assemblers" name.

They do not generally command high prices, and the horizontal grand style of cabinet is unpopular because of the extra floor space it occupies. Having said that, it would not be a bad buy at $100 if in good mechanical and cosmetic condition.

morgantheavenger
Victor I

Yeah it says in the description that it plays well and is in really good shape.I agree with you on the design pity it's size but i think this machine would funcialnally work for my rock and roll records. Because this machine had a orthophonic type soundbox thanks for letting me know more about this company greatly appertaited.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Morgan,

Really, no crank style acoustic phonograph will work well with your rock & roll records. Especially if you care about your records. Records made in the rock & roll era were not meant to be played on acoustic machines, with high stylus pressures and poor frequency response. Yes, orthophonic era machines will work a bit better but, even they will wear out your records very quickly and they will sound terrible while doing it.

As an added note, please try to use some punctuations when you write. It's very hard to understand what you're asking or saying when everything is run together like one big long sentence.

morgantheavenger
Victor I

Ok sorry sometimes well a lot of times I get way to exited sorry for the puncation I'm working on the puncation sentences. Sorry yet again man.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Morgan,

No need to be sorry, just trying to help you out. Enjoy the hobby. I remember when it was exciting for me too. (Sometimes it still is.)

morgantheavenger
Victor I

Thanks

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Jerry,
Sometimes I play my rock & roll 78's on an acoustic machine. Here's what I do: I have one of those plastic reproducers from the 50's that have an aluminum diaphragm. They are light weight and sound good. I use a Victor or Merritone chromium needle. The reproducer fits on my Victor V, and the record sounds great. I don't do this all the time, but every so often I do this. It is so cool to hear Elvis, The Platters, etc. on an open horn phonograph. Has anyone else done this?
Harvey Kravitz
JerryVan wrote:Morgan,

Really, no crank style acoustic phonograph will work well with your rock & roll records. Especially if you care about your records. Records made in the rock & roll era were not meant to be played on acoustic machines, with high stylus pressures and poor frequency response. Yes, orthophonic era machines will work a bit better but, even they will wear out your records very quickly and they will sound terrible while doing it.

As an added note, please try to use some punctuations when you write. It's very hard to understand what you're asking or saying when everything is run together like one big long sentence.

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

epigramophone wrote:...and the horizontal grand style of cabinet is unpopular because of the extra floor space it occupies.
I have seen a lot of those those generic British gramophones and have always wondered why the horizontal style were built so short that I must stoop over to wind one. Do you have that many Hobbits over there? :lol:

morgantheavenger
Victor I

We must must have lots of hobbits because I've seen quite a few if these machines and I'm only 18 lol.