EMG Register to assist dating and EMG/Expert synopsis.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Re: EMG Register to assist dating and EMG/Expert synopsis.

Post by chunnybh »

Thanks so much for the Harry Virtz link. It makes sense that the tonearms were made in sections. If you look closely at the picture I uploaded you will notice another join at the other end of the tonearm. I've seen two tonearms with the same two joins. Why the join so close to the J-tube?. Also, there may well be but I can't see any evidence of a seam running along the tubing.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

It seems possible that the straight sections of Expert tonearms were made up of lengths of seamless pipe using conical tube-expanders. This might have necessitated more than one size and therefore more than one joint ? I have some of such tooling here. EMG did use brass castings for parts of their tonearms which were made in sections and then joined---usually towards the bearing end.

Idelia412
Victor Jr
Personal Text: EMG

Post by Idelia412 »

Hello,

Thought I would reply to the group about my EMG Mark IX. I acquired the machine back in 1984 in Harrogate while stationed there in the forces for two years. Underneath the turntable is number 690. I am guessing this is a serial number. The EMG has the horseshoe reproducer which is correct with this machine. It has a Garrard electric motor which has a voltage selector on the back. Since we have 110 volts in the states, I was able to change the voltage of it by removing a screw and putting it in the correct voltage. I acquired a conversion plug that enabled me to retain the British plug and twisted cloth covered cord and plug it into the adapter so I could use the plug on a wall outlet in the house.

I was also fortunate enough that I got some accessories with it including a "Book of the Fiber Needle" by Davey put out by EMG, some EMG record dressing in the small container and box, the instruction manual for the Garrard motor, an EMG Fiber Needle cutter, the reproducer instructions, EMG fiber needle cutter instructions, and a letter from EMG with Letterhead telling a previous owner how to change the voltage on the back of the cabinet signed by Davey. I purchased everything back in May 1984 for 165 pounds. Not sure how to attach a picture, but would be happy to due so if someone could tell me how. I don't see or recognize a link to add a picture.

There is a website that lists people who own an EMG on the web, and just maybe that person will see this post or someone that can share this with the owner of that site. I have a link to Youtube that shows my machine playing. It was my first Youtube making so there is a lot of jiggling with the camera, but you can see the machine from different angles. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ5sF9JxN0c

Just copy the link in your browser to watch the video.

My name is Pete Petersen and I live in Arizona near Phoenix.
I had always wanted one of these machines for a long time as I have been a phonograph and as you say over on your side of the pond a Gramophone collector for over 40 years.

Regards to you all,

Pete
Attachments
0212192025.jpg
Last edited by Idelia412 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Hello Pete. Welcome and many thanks for the interesting background to your Mk IX.

To post a photograph, log in, then either start a new topic or click on post reply to an existing post. You will next see the box for script. If you then scroll down you will see a section entitled "Upload attachment". Click on "Browse" which will take you to the files you keep on your own computer. Select a photo---double click on it---and you will see the photo file reference jump into the box to the left of the "Browse" box. Then click on "Add the file" immediately below and wait for the upload. This can take a while depending upon the file size. Bear in mind if you wish to post more than one photo that the last will appear first.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Thank you for the photo Pete and it is good to see a fine early example of a nineteen-thirties Mk IX with moulded feet. Later examples tended to have straight feet slightly inset in relation to the case. It is also very helpful to have the serial number which, together with others, will help in the dating process as we go along.

Your ownership for 35 years is not unusual and testament to the high regard in which these gramophones are held. Clearly the previous owner was also an afficionado judging from the rare accessories you were lucky enough to procure with the purchase. No doubt you have a copy of Frank James' definitive and fascinating book "The E.M.G. story" ?

Best wishes,

Graham

Idelia412
Victor Jr

Post by Idelia412 »

Graham,

Thanks for the compliment. Yes, I did get the EMG book back when it first came out. I had to order it online through a British book website which I cannot remember which one.

I did not know about the information about the feet putting it being manufactured in the 30's. Most people are amazed about the reproduction of these machines over here in the states. I have had Victor Orthophonic gramophones as you call them both a Credenza and a Victor model 10-50 automatic which had the largest internal horn of the orthophonic's and they do not sound near as good as the EMG. Of course horn machines were always better at reproduction than internal horns, but I would also think the EMG horseshoe two spring reproducer adds to the reproduction. I often wonder how HMV Victors compare to EMG's?

There was a group of collectors in Harrogate that I was able to join. It was nice to share information with them while I was stationed their in the forces.

In fact I was in a Memorial parade for the forces in your country that was instrumental in me acquiring the EMG. A couple I got to know wanted to see me in the parade in uniform and were walking through an alley and noticed the EMG in a window. They passed it onto me when they had me to dinner that night. The very next morning which was a Monday I was off, so I went right down to check it out and acquired the EMG. I was well aware of EMG's before I ever got to Harrogate through reference books, so I was always looking for one when I was there.

BassetHoundTrio
Victor I

Post by BassetHoundTrio »

A beautiful machine, Pete! I watched your video several years ago, and I am very happy to have acquired my own Mark IX a couple years ago. Mine has the straight feet, and I must say I prefer the look of your machine. (Graham, who was just here for a visit, believes my machine to be from the 1940s.) The next time I am in the Phoenix area, I'll let you know!
Last edited by BassetHoundTrio on Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Idelia412
Victor Jr

Post by Idelia412 »

Thanks for the nice compliment. Glad you are enjoying your EMG Mark IX too!

physicist
Victor O

Post by physicist »

I have something to add to the dating information on Expert manufacturing. I have inherited an Expert Junior from my late father. It was made in 1935 as you will be able to see from the attached scan of the original stamped and signed receipt. The receipt number is 807 - possibly an indication of the number of machines sold. At the time, a stamped receipt was a legal UK requirement for any sale over £2 so the receipt numbers would presumably have been used for sales of complete machines (and conversions?). I have dismantled the tonearm to find the number 527 stamped on the underside. The machine was supplied with an electric Collaro motor.

Best wishes
Robin
Attachments
000_0435.jpg
000_0434.jpg
000_0432a.jpg
000_0426.jpg
receipt.jpg

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

A warm welcome to the forum Robin and how wonderful to have inherited your father's Expert Junior! Many thanks for posting photos, especially of the invoice which is really great to see. This is particularly interesting for me as your Junior is very similar to my own, and has the same motor.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?