EMG Register to assist dating and EMG/Expert synopsis.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Orchorsol
Victor IV

Re: EMG Register to assist dating and EMG/Expert synopsis.

Post by Orchorsol »

Steve wrote:Looking at Graham's tables above, makes me appreciate one good reason why the name "EMG" is synonymous with these giant machines, whilst the name "Expert" is almost exclusively relegated to the tiny circles of collectors who actually own one.

EMG existed for nearly 60 years whilst Expert was effectively defunct within 15.
Yet, unless the production figures are seriously adrift, Expert seemed to be producing many more machines for their first few years.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

If the figures are correct it is amazing that either company survived at all. Paying rent, wages and for ads, it must have been hard times throughout their existence.
Both companies obviously did not fair well after the war. How Expert survived for another 20 years after Frith St is a miracle. Mind you, I believe Expert compiled far superior electric gramophones than EMG. David Phillips radiograms of the late 1950's are simply marvelous. EMG must have survived for so long with their sales of records to loyal customers.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

For what it's worth: My Mk IX is #1072, electric motor (I still haven't taken it apart yet, Graham!), swan neck tonearm and square tonearm rest. Any guess on when it could be from? Feel free to add to your database, and if needed or desired, I will try to get some photos this weekend! I'm still without a decent camera, but I'm going to borrow one tonight for the weekend.

Sean

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Thank you Sean and I look forward to the photos. Was it originally an electric or spring motor ?

As far as dating is concerned, if 1020 is possibly 1934 then logically 1072 could be either 1934 or 1935 but bear in mind that we really are guessing a little at this stage. Yours would seem to be a fairly early one. The picture could become clearer as details/photos etc come in.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Mine has always been electric, for sure. I'll try to get photos soon!

Sean

Ruthrose
Victor Jr

Post by Ruthrose »

I have an EMG model which my Father purchased new from EMG between 1928 and 1932. There is no nunber stamped on it. Originally it was mounted on a matching oak record cabinet with two shelves that stood about 4 ft high exactly sized to fit the base of the machine. My uncle also purchased one at the same time, the only difference being that his had a serpentine horn and my father's has an exponential long horn. Neither of them had a lid. The only marking is a small white manufacturer's label with the EMG address on it. which is made of bone, situated on the deck area. I know that every part of this machine is suthentic as new because I was born in 1933 and my sister in January 1931. Our memories of the home living room furniture go back to June 1932. No modificatins or changes have been made in our lifetimes as it has always played records from his extensive collection of 'acoustic' and 'electric' 78's perfectly. it is a spring wind-up machine.
Home downsizing is prompting me to consider selling the EMG and the 'Eastlight' album boxed 78's of clssical music to a genuine enthusiast. I can provide detailed photos on request to anyone who can identify the exact model or who is interested in purchase. Email me at ruth7rose@yahoo.co.uk

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

I can't find any numbers on my Expert. I'll be sure to post some pictures at some point!

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Ruthrose wrote:I have an EMG model which my Father purchased new from EMG between 1928 and 1932. There is no nunber stamped on it. Originally it was mounted on a matching oak record cabinet with two shelves that stood about 4 ft high exactly sized to fit the base of the machine. My uncle also purchased one at the same time, the only difference being that his had a serpentine horn and my father's has an exponential long horn. Neither of them had a lid. The only marking is a small white manufacturer's label with the EMG address on it. which is made of bone, situated on the deck area. I know that every part of this machine is suthentic as new because I was born in 1933 and my sister in January 1931. Our memories of the home living room furniture go back to June 1932. No modificatins or changes have been made in our lifetimes as it has always played records from his extensive collection of 'acoustic' and 'electric' 78's perfectly. it is a spring wind-up machine.
Home downsizing is prompting me to consider selling the EMG and the 'Eastlight' album boxed 78's of clssical music to a genuine enthusiast. I can provide detailed photos on request to anyone who can identify the exact model or who is interested in purchase. Email me at ruth7rose@yahoo.co.uk
A very warm welcome to the forum! How exciting, a lifelong EMG owner! Do keep it if you possibly can... If you browse the British section here, you will see how much love and enthusiasm there is for these incredible machines, perhaps more than ever these days.

It's likely that your father's is a Mk VIII and as far as we know, EMG had not yet started stamping the serial numbers whilst those were in production. Your uncle's sounds like a Mk IX.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Finally, I've taken a few photos of my Mk IX #1072. The cotton rope you see supporting the horn is the way I've managed to straighten mine up from a pretty severe sag, it has a bit to go, but it's come along nicely.

Sean
Attachments
100_0264.JPG
100_0265.JPG
100_0266.JPG

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Thank you Sean for posting photos of this fine example and from present estimates the date might be 1934/35. You seem to be doing a great job on the horn and it is interesting to see the very desirable flock on the inside of the lid. My 1948 example does not have this which presumably is due to material shortages after the war.

We are currently trying to find you a shorter spindle and hopefully will be in touch soon.