HMV 101: new green addition

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: HMV 101: new green addition

Post by fran604g »

Three very nice machines that I would be proud to have!
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Sweet addition, Adam. Just right for a picnic -- in warmer weather, of course! :D
Best regards ... AZ*

beaumonde
Victor III

Post by beaumonde »

Thanks, John.

By the way, I've posted some YouTube videos of some of these in action, in the Music subforum... :P
Adam

Jacob Black
Victor Jr

Post by Jacob Black »

There have been three versions of the crocodile-grained leather cloth:

- blue = SB
- grey = GC
- brown = BC

The antique brown veining which appeared in 1929 is very rare. I only saw one machine in about ten years of collecting HMV portables. It is a grained leather but not a crocodile looking leather. All other surfaces were plain.

The identification plates changed over the years. The metal ones usually shows the model number. The ivorine indentifying plates only shows the serial number, but not the colour code and the version figure.

Jake

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

So, in your opinion, is the one pictured above the brown crocodile, or the grey?

beaumonde
Victor III

Post by beaumonde »

From all the information others have supplied, and the fact that this croco one is definitely earlier than 1929, it must be grey, not brown. Odd, though!
Adam

Jacob Black
Victor Jr

Post by Jacob Black »

All machines acuured after mid 1928. You can identify this on the new transfer used on the record panel in the lid (by the way: the picture below Shows the early transfer...)

According to the parts used on the machines the green and the blue one are from the productions series K or L from 1929/30. The croc one is definitely brown thus BC. The colour GC is much paler. You can see this on the picture below:

You can have a look on my portable collection here http://thesymbolofsupremacy.blogspot.de/
There are a lot of detailed Pictures.
Some of the machines have the german HMV badge -> Electrola. The Electrola machines are identical to the machines produced in Hayes/GB. The only difference is the Electrola-badge and the Electrola-marked soundbox.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Jacob Black wrote:The croc one is definitely brown thus BC. The colour GC is much paler. You can see this on the picture below
Thanks for making this clear. It's very much appreciated.

beaumonde
Victor III

Post by beaumonde »

Yes, thanks for the clarification, Jake. I should have looked in my copy of Dave Cooper's book in the first place. It is definitely "brown" (though it still looks tan to me!).

(By the way, be sure to click on the photos below to see the full-sized versions for greater detail)
Attachments
Mine.
Mine.
"The Perfect Portable Gramophone", p.55
"The Perfect Portable Gramophone", p.55
Adam