Unknown Horn Gramophone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Patty
Victor Jr

Re: Unknown Horn Gramophone

Post by Patty »

Steve wrote:
thanks but no thanks.............I heard enough of your opinion on your last post.......especially as you think Robeyphones never look right too!
Just for the RECORD..............I don't like your attitude either......................

You said you never thought it was right and asked for others to comment! Just because I agree with you and can definitely tell you it isn't right, you get upset? Okay, in that case, it's just perfect............take the picture off.....edit your post.......be happy with it for another 20 years........peace! ;)

Exactly.........peace

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

Patty it's a really nice gramophone ! It may have some new parts who cares it looks good and I am sure if you sold it you would get more than you paid , some collectors are so anal about replacements and non original paint to me it's weird , it doesn't happen in the vintage motor area and when it does the courts rule eventually in the favour of the restorer and quite rightly what a magnificent saved and restored vehicle http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... assis.html I wish it were mine !

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

That Daily Mail article just proves how out of touch, condescending and stupid a lot of UK judges are! Most of them have little knowledge of the law according to a solicitor I spoke to recently. So how exactly does one become a judge? By joining The Masons?

Patty
Victor Jr

Post by Patty »

Steve and Soundgen
I have often thought that restoring gives a longer life to the vintage and antique stuff......the items were built to last and do when they are restored/repaired. We are only caretakers of our antiques and keep them healthy for the next person to take care of and love.

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Patty wrote:Steve and Soundgen
I have often thought that restoring gives a longer life to the vintage and antique stuff......the items were built to last and do when they are restored/repaired. We are only caretakers of our antiques and keep them healthy for the next person to take care of and love.
It is a debate that will likely go on until the end of time, with opinions ranging from extremes of never touch anything, even to repair because you will "destroy the history," to full restoration to bring back the appearance and function that caused the original owner to buy it in the first place so that you (and your guests) can experience the machine as they did and as its maker intended. Personally I tend to take a more conservative approach with rare machines and feel freer to restore the original glory for more common machines--especially if they are sad sacks that have been ill treated over the years. Each person has to decide where they stand on the issue and that decision is theirs alone.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.