Unknown Horn Gramophone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Patty
Victor Jr

Unknown Horn Gramophone

Post by Patty »

Can Anyone identify this gramophone of mine? It has a Swiss motor. The top is quartered oak.
I got it without a soundbox. Runs ok and sounds fine.
The Robeyphone soundbox is one I have had for years

Last edited by Patty on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Phono48
Victor IV

Re: Unknown Horn Gramophone

Post by Phono48 »

I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but that back bracket looks very much like a reproduction, and why has the arm got that ridge halfway along? Could it be that it's been cut down, or altered in some way?

Barry

Joe_DS
Victor I

Post by Joe_DS »

Phono48 wrote:I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but that back bracket looks very much like a reproduction, and why has the arm got that ridge halfway along? Could it be that it's been cut down, or altered in some way?

Barry

It's hard to say. The back support bracket looks more substantial than those I've seen on Crap-O-Phones; similar, though not identical to those illustrated in this 1907 Thorens Gramophone catalog --

http://keithwright.ca/Thorens/CLPGS/190 ... 07cat.html

Joe

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Some continental manufacturers offered a choice of tonearm, with or without a gooseneck, depending on the destination of the machine. The reason is said to have been because the gooseneck was protected by patent in some countries but not in others.

If the tonearm of this "unknown" machine has been modified, which I doubt, it looks to have been very well done.

The mouldings on the case are very distinctive, and I have not found that design in my Beka, Paillard or Thorens catalogues.

Patty
Victor Jr

Post by Patty »

I am certain the arm is of the same as when new and not adapted, The back bracket did have traces of nickel still on the heavy brass and everything is balanced vertically ....unlike the sound boxes leaning to one side and balancing on very little on the back bracket on crapophones. I have had this machine over 20 years, I feel the horn isn't original though.
I will take some more photos of the arm tomorrow to show what I mean.

Thanks for all your info :)
Last edited by Patty on Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Even if it is right, it certainly doesn't look right to me. The elbow must be reproduction and notice how quickly the tapers and diameters change between the arm and the elbow. That is definitely dodgy. It's hard to be precise about the horn but the conical end may have been altered? as for the back-bracket, I am not aware of brackets being made out of cast brass, apart from some rare G & T / HMV examples on the continent. Normally brackets are iron / steel. Modern repros can be fashioned from aluminium. The odd "join" in the arm is not an uncommon detail to find in continental machines. I suspect this machine is a Frankenphone. There's also something worrying about odd machines purchased "about 20 years ago". That was not long after I started collecting and I remember all too well how the market was flooded with Crapophones, Frankenphones and lots of dodgy "original horn gramophones" back then. The market was buoyant and any old rubbish could be sold off to unsuspecting buyers who simply wanted an old gramAphone with trumpet for the corner of their living rooms.

Patty
Victor Jr

Post by Patty »

Steve wrote:Even if it is right, it certainly doesn't look right to me. The elbow must be reproduction and notice how quickly the tapers and diameters change between the arm and the elbow. That is definitely dodgy. It's hard to be precise about the horn but the conical end may have been altered? as for the back-bracket, I am not aware of brackets being made out of cast brass, apart from some rare G & T / HMV examples on the continent. Normally brackets are iron / steel. Modern repros can be fashioned from aluminium. The odd "join" in the arm is not an uncommon detail to find in continental machines. I suspect this machine is a Frankenphone. There's also something worrying about odd machines purchased "about 20 years ago". That was not long after I started collecting and I remember all too well how the market was flooded with Crapophones, Frankenphones and lots of dodgy "original horn gramophones" back then. The market was buoyant and any old rubbish could be sold off to unsuspecting buyers who simply wanted an old gramAphone with trumpet for the corner of their living rooms.

Thanks for your mine of information!

The price it came to me for was a bargain ...................the machine is well built and perfectly aligned! Crapophone or gramAphone I have always liked it and always will. You obviously need no further photographs because you have said your piece!
Last edited by Patty on Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

You're most welcome!

By all means feel free to share further pictures of the horn, motor and other parts in close-up. I've seen a few Robeyphones on eBay and they almost NEVER look right. I'd like to know more about who or what was behind them. Or should that be Ropeyphone?! Of course you don't have a Robeyphone, just a soundbox from one! ;)
Last edited by Steve on Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Patty
Victor Jr

Post by Patty »

Steve wrote:You're most welcome!

By all means feel free to share further pictures of the horn, motor and other parts in close-up. I've seen a few Robeyphones on eBay and they almost NEVER look right. I'd like to know more about who or what was behind them.

thanks but no thanks.............I heard enough of your opinion on your last post.......especially as you think Robeyphones never look right too!
Just for the RECORD..............I don't like your attitude either......................

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

thanks but no thanks.............I heard enough of your opinion on your last post.......especially as you think Robeyphones never look right too!
Just for the RECORD..............I don't like your attitude either......................

You said you never thought it was right and asked for others to comment! Just because I agree with you and can definitely tell you it isn't right, you get upset? Okay, in that case, it's just perfect............take the picture off.....edit your post.......be happy with it for another 20 years........peace! ;)