Pathé Diamond Portable

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
soundgen
Victor VI

Pathé Diamond Portable

Post by soundgen »

Pathé Diamond Portable

I've never seen one of these before but I guess they are common in France ? But what was the relationship between Pathé and EMI which allowed the use of this Pathé ND130 type of soundbox to be used on HMV , Columbia and Odeon portables ? Which came first Pathé or EMI ? Does anyone know ?

Joe_DS
Victor I

Re: Pathé Diamond Portable

Post by Joe_DS »

I've no way to verify the accuracy of this right now, but according to the information provided on this page:

http://www.portable-gramophone.com/Pathé_gramophones.ws

" In 1928, the Settlements "Pathé Frères" pass under the control of the "French Columbia Company," which, in turn, was merged in 1931 with the great British firm EMI (Electric and Musical Industries Ltd.). "

Joe

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Yes, the soundbox pictured is based on the HMV No.23/Columbia No.24 used on the cheaper EMI portables HMV 87/88 and Columbia 205/211.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Pathé's disc industry was sold to Columbia in 1928, including the French and all other factories Pathé had at the time (England, Belgium, Russia).

As to the soundbox, I will have to check (I have some Pathés as the one in the photo and one Columbia), they look similar but but I think their tonearm interfaces are not identical. This could be one case of sharing common parts, but for the rest, after 1928 Pathé maintained a distinct line of machines for the French market from Columbia and HMV, although it replaced the rooster with the dog in 1936.