Simple Thorens Gramophone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
USlakeside
Victor III

Simple Thorens Gramophone

Post by USlakeside »

I'm looking to complete this Thorens gramophone with a correct horn. It's a very simple machine and I haven't been able to find a similar one online because I assume these were very common and varied in case and style greatly. I've attached a picture of a similar Thorens example, could this style horn be accurate? The reproducer is a Columbia, and not accurate to the machine. Any information help. Thanks
Attachments
2683.JPG
L1060295.jpg
L1060297.jpg
L1060294.jpg

Joe_DS
Victor I

Re: Simple Thorens Gramophone

Post by Joe_DS »

Looking over the online 1914 Thorens Gramophone catalog, the one distinctive feature I see for many of the horns is the etching around "mouth" area. (Don't know quite how to describe it...)

SEE -- http://keithwright.ca/Thorens/CLPGS/191 ... 14cat.html

Here's the 1907 catalog -- http://keithwright.ca/Thorens/CLPGS/190 ... 07cat.html

Interestingly, the case is very similar, if not identical to the "Popular" model illustrated in the 1907 catalog, though it differs from the Popular model of 1914.

Joe

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Joe_DS wrote:Looking over the online 1914 Thorens Gramophone catalog, the one distinctive feature I see for many of the horns is the etching around "mouth" area. (Don't know quite how to describe it...)

SEE -- http://keithwright.ca/Thorens/CLPGS/191 ... 14cat.html

Here's the 1907 catalog -- http://keithwright.ca/Thorens/CLPGS/190 ... 07cat.html

Interestingly, the case is very similar, if not identical to the "Popular" model illustrated in the 1907 catalog, though it differs from the Popular model of 1914.

Joe
Joe, I think the machine in question is more like #328 "RIO" as it also has the rounded corners...... ;) :).

Joe_DS
Victor I

Post by Joe_DS »

gramophone78 wrote:
Joe_DS wrote:
Joe, I think the machine in question is more like #328 "RIO" as it also has the rounded corners...... ;) :).
Yes, I think you're right. On second glance it DOES look more like that case. Thanks for pointing that out.

I'd say a flower horn, as shown in the illustration, would probably be a good match.

Joe

USlakeside
Victor III

Post by USlakeside »

gramophoneshane is right I believe. Thank you for this Joe_DS. I have tracked down the right horn, with the right embossing. I just need the elbo now!
Attachments
thorens 1914 page 17w.jpg
thorens 1914 page 17w.jpg (69.3 KiB) Viewed 3109 times

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

USlakeside wrote:gramophoneshane is right I believe. Thank you for this Joe_DS. I have tracked down the right horn, with the right embossing. I just need the elbo now!
Ah, I have started to notice I am being confused with Shane (AKA) "Gramophoneshane". Now, I think Shane is a long time knowledgeable collector. However, He is not me or I am not him..... :lol: :lol:.
Maybe because "Gramophone" is part of my forum name...???. :?
I am however Wayne and I do live in Canada (not Australia). Geesh.......I guess I'm a little late for introductions..... :? :lol: :lol: :lol:.

Nice to meet you all....... :lol: :lol: :lol:.

USlakeside, here is what the elbow looks like you need. There are two sizes and "both" have a inner locking pin to connect the horn. Both sizes "will" fit the horn at the horn end because that end is the same size. Only the bracket side is different. As mentioned in your YT ad.......the large size is next to impossible to locate in any condition.
I have a spare "small" (last two pics) elbow, but it will not fit on the outside of the bracket.
For reference, I'm adding a pic of what the horn can look like (if painted). This is a very well preserve example and very hard to find in condition like this. The two birds are over the top. What a beauty!!!.
elbow #1    4.5cm.jpg
100_4269.JPG
100_4267.JPG
Swiss Horn.JPG

USlakeside
Victor III

Post by USlakeside »

gramophone78 thanks for the updates and pics. Just a slip of the keys when typing your name! I know who's who! Im frustrated because my horn and machine came from the same source, just where is the elbo? They can't find it! Ugh.